Need pool water help

I'm probably a little to late for this, but here is how CYA was once explained to me...
CYA is like sunscreen. If the number is too low, you will burn. If the number is too high, you will never get a base tan.

since sun 'eats' bleach, CYA is like sunscreen for your pool. if the number is too low, the sun will 'eat' all the bleach,
but if you have too much CYA, then the bleach can't work properly to do it's job.

Since I went to pool school, I finally understand that CYA is many times to blame for a pool that has gotten out of control.

Okay been reading the bbb for starters really good write up.

Kinda curious by using the whole bleach would it bleach gour clothes after time or be bad to swim in. I know noob question but like I said I just over think things. Plus the wife is in the ear if it was up to her she would just get ripp3d off at the pool store lol.

the bleach at walmart is the same bleach that comes from the expensive pool store. Walmart is 8.25% and the pool store is 12%. you need to add a bit more of the walmart bleach, but the PPM will all be the same regardless...you add what you need. Now, I do have several pair of pants that have bleach spots all over them because sometimes I'm sloppy and the bleach splashes on me while I'm adding it to the pool. But, it's nothing that a pair of scissors can't fix ;)

With cheap water and your pool I'd get the HTH 6-way tester, with that test kit you can maintain your water and not have to shock. If things get out of control it won't help you with the SLAM process but you can just dump the water and start over. You'll have to add bleach everyday for the level of CYA you'll have (use pool calcultor), if you don't test everyday you'll probably be back to where you are now. The TF-100 test kit would allow you to follow the SLAM process without dumping water. The key to all of this is you learning from pool school and experience what your pool needs and diligently maintaining it. It's not hard and usually takes 5-10 minutes a day.

Ignore Bromine, you don't have a bromine pool. The numbers that are important where you are right now are Chlorine (yours is low), pH (yours is low), and CYA. When you start over, we will guestimate the CYA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The HTH 6-way will have 2 cya tests. If you've dumped the water and are starting over then there won't be any cya. If you keep track of what you put in the water then you can use pool calc to figure out how much cya you've put in. Once you get to a good number use one of the tests to confirm. You can pour the test fluid back and forth to average your result as it is a judgement type test.

Okay so im gonna just drain all the water scrub it clean and start adding water. Can someone tell a step by step way of doing this precess. I bought bleach, baking soda, and borax. Is there any thing else I need before I start this process. Also when do I start adding what ect. Looked on the site and couldn't find a step by step also I'm doing this on my phone so is kinda a pain.

All your guys help is appreciated

You may not need the baking soda and borax. BBB is the name of the process, but the point is to use off the shelf products rather than overpriced pool store stuff.

Just fill it up and put in ONE BAG of the shock product you have now. As I said before, just don't go over 9 bags total over the entire swim season. This will help you keep your FC up while you raise your CYA. Don't let FC ever get below 3 for now, make it 4 or 5 as a goal.

This might help you:
pool-school/temporary_pool_guide

You may not need the Borax or baking soda, it depends on the pH and TA of your fill water. If you have high pH and TA fill water, you will need muriatic acid instead. You will have to wait until you get your 6 way kit to find out what you will need.

So my pool is almost full and I know that robbieH said to dump a full bag of the genesis shock in it which is 10oz

But wondering instead if I buy the HTH brand which one should I get because Walmart has 3 different kinds or should I just use the Genesis. Also the genesis bag says one bag treats 15,000 gallons and my pool is only 5,000.

Not trying to question any of your guys knowledge because I wouldn't be on this forum if I new I just want to make sure

BigLiquid350, please remember this one thing.....BLEACH is king!! Secondly, please spend the money and get the TF-100 test kit to support his site or a Taylor 2006. Both will give you accurate, repeatable testing results for your pool.

Let me give you a practical example.....can you tell me how many miles your car will go buy looking at the gas gauge or by sticking a long piece of cardboard in your gas tank? I know that is rediculous, but seriously, using either one of those test kits will give you exact numbers so you can put EXACTLY the right amount of the PROPER chemical into your pool. 99% of the time, that chemical will be chlorine, which most of us call Clorox.

You can get by with the test strips temporarily, but they aren't very accurate......and we want accurate!! Accurate saves money and gives you a wonderful pool that the WIFE and KIDS will enjoy so you won't get.....ah, greif about. Got it?

Oh, I would also recommend you keep a cover on the pool until you are ready to swim or play in the thing. Consider replacing the Intex horrible filters with Unicell filters which you can google for. Got mine from Amazon and they will last with cleaning/soaking all season long and then some if you want to put the effort into it. I have two, one in the pump, one in a bucket soaking in bleach solution ready to be rinsed off and installed in the pump when needed.

Bob E.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.