HELP! Robotic pool VS. in-floor cleaner

Jul 1, 2013
We are in the process of deciding on a pool builder. One offers the in-floor cleaning system; the other, a robotic cleaner. Can anyone give a girl a little advice? And with the robot, does it stay plugged in and roaming around ALL THE TIME? If it gets in my way, do I just lift it out onto the deck? I've heard it's a pain to "unhook". Please offer any advice. Thanks!

Robotic cleaner wins.

The robots typically run a cycle. Mine runs 3 hours. I just take it out of the pool when it's not needed. It is not a pain, all you do is pull it out of the pool and unplug it. Pretty simple.

In-floor cleaners are convenient, provided you don't get too much stuff in the pool (they struggle with large amounts of stuff), but they are the most energy-inefficient way to clean a pool. Basically, you have to run the pump and circulate the whole pool when you want to clean it, but with a robot you can just chuck it in with the pump off.

Plus, infloor systems are very expensive.

Melt In The Sun said:
In-floor cleaners are convenient, provided you don't get too much stuff in the pool (they struggle with large amounts of stuff), but they are the most energy-inefficient way to clean a pool. Basically, you have to run the pump and circulate the whole pool when you want to clean it, but with a robot you can just chuck it in with the pump off.

Plus, infloor systems are very expensive.

Yup. I had one installed at previous house before I knew any better. Worked pretty well, some dirt collected in a few corners that required a vacuum or brushing, never used another cleaner, so it was convenient ... but in hindsight I was running a monster 2HP pump many many hours and using a LOT of electricity.

A suction cleaner could have probably kept the pool at least as clean with less pump run time, but then you have to deal with swimming with it or moving it in and out of the pool.

A robot (which I have at current house) can run independent of the pool pump for more power savings and the dirt is not collected in the filter which would require more often backwashing. Still have to either swim with it or pull it out of the pool. And cleaning the robot bag can be a little annoying ... but is does a great job.

We love or infloor cleaner. It's a Paramount PCC2000. It's our first pool so we don't have any experience with the other types, but my wife didn't like the looks of the cleaner and hose floating around all of time. I think she use to swim in a pool where they kept it in even while swimming. We get a couple of spots where debris sometime forms but all it takes is a quick brush towards the deep end and they disappear. The builder gave us a vacuum and hose but said we would never need them and we haven't. Personally, I think the best part of the cleaning system is the water movement. When you add the chemicals near a jet that is active it mixes very quickly. No need to wait 30 minutes until swimming. I'd feel safe in 10 minutes.

They are an added expense to an already expensive project, but for us it was worth it. Our system has it's own 1 hp pump and we are still playing around with run times to find out what the minimum run times.

We have a caretaker 99 in floor system.
Since 1983
It works good but you still need a kreepy krawley .. To vacume, the in floor system keeps the pool mixed up good helps distribute your chemicals better. But it does have moving parts that wear out .
Not to many of them in Texas so i had to learn how to fix it myself.
I did replace the valve and heard in 1996 and at that time they were offering lifetime warranty for 250 bucks more, It has paid for its self many times.
But to answer your question get both . But you can use a suction claener that is cheaper than a robot.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.