Do you measure your bleach?

kmgt

Jun 18, 2013
Do you all measure your bleach exactly or do you just eyeball it from the container? So far I've just been eyeballing it, but wondering if I should take a measuring up out there etc.

You may get different answers!

I eyeball mine on the rare occasion I have to use any. But, I know my pool really well. I can usually even tell when I put the DPD powder into the sample water how much I'm going to need, even before I swirl it. My target FC is sufficiently low enough that if the test turns bright pink, I already know I'm OK. And if I need to add, if I am off one way or the other by much, it's so insignificant in a pool of mine's size, it won't matter.

I measure mine, but I also only test every other day, or even every third day. With the solar cover on and low bather load, I know that about 32 oz of 10% bleach every second day will keep things right around my target. I keep a plastic juice pitcher nearby, it has the 8 oz markings on the side so that makes it easy and also makes for less splashing due to the pour spout.

When I get near my target I add a jug and let it coast back down over the next couple days. I test it each day ~ sometimes twice depending on bather load, sun and as of lately how much water I had to release because of all the rain. Friday evening because it gets a lot of use on the weekends & yard work~ I do kick it up a bit to preempt anything taking hold.

I guess because I go by the jug I do "measure" but I kind of take the lazy way out instead of getting precise every night with it. I stay a little ahead of my target (I have organics coming off the trees with all the wind and storms & little kiddos in who get out frequently to use the potty but I always make a silent wish they do so every single time :(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I love my SWG! When I do have to add chlorine, I figure the amount and then eyeball it. I know how many ppm are in a gallon for the size of my pool, and I add accordingly.. often rounding up a bit if I'm close to finishing a bottle.

I went to the restaurant supply store and got myself a nice Lexan 2 Qt measuring pitcher and a smaller plastic cup. Both have the scale as raised lettering on the outside so the chemicals cannot wash off the scales. This way if I drop it, it will bounce and not shatter.

4-quart-cambro-400mccw-camwear-measuring-cup.jpg

I have the big one with the "milk" in it. Metric one side, US on the other. It was about $10 USD.

Most days I can measure in the the 40-60 oz I have needed to add each day. It works well for the MA that I do want more accurate.

I always measure anything I put into the pool. For liquids, I use measuring cups similar to the pics in techguy's post. I make sure those measuring cups never find their way into the kitchen, which is not hard to do since I use glass cups for food measuring and the plastic ones for chemical measuring.

A jug of 96oz 6% will give me ~2.5 ppm if I need more or less then I measure. 37 oz is 1ppm but I round up to 40 for easy calculations. I have a measuring cup marked in oz up to 25. If I need .5 ppm then 20 oz, 1 ppm then 40 oz etc... I can usually do 1 jug one day and then a jug and a bit the next day. I get home from work the pump is running and I pour a jug in, after chores and maybe dinner I test and adjust as needed.

I measure also. Dollar General had some decent plastic 32 oz. cups on clearance for a buck. Bought two and marked with a Sharpie. One for bleach, one for acid. Measure, rinse, dry and back in the deck cabinet. I'm usually pretty spot on with where my FC is at and the amount I need to add.

I added marks every 32 oz. on the inside of my Home Depot bucket. I go out every 2 of 3 days too make sure the level went down at least 16 oz. per day. I check my FC when I do so to make sure it's between 3 and 6 (target 4-5). "Toss" some MA in every 2 or 3 days also (one 32 oz. Rudy's BBQ cup).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.