Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you measure your bleach?

1. Back To Top    #1

Do you measure your bleach?

Do you all measure your bleach exactly or do you just eyeball it from the container? So far I've just been eyeballing it, but wondering if I should take a measuring up out there etc.
    Ohio, 27' x 52" AGP, New Install, Cartridge, 1.5HP Pump, K2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Do you measure your bleach?

You may get different answers!

I eyeball mine on the rare occasion I have to use any. But, I know my pool really well. I can usually even tell when I put the DPD powder into the sample water how much I'm going to need, even before I swirl it. My target FC is sufficiently low enough that if the test turns bright pink, I already know I'm OK. And if I need to add, if I am off one way or the other by much, it's so insignificant in a pool of mine's size, it won't matter.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

I was usually estimating to the 1/2 bottle of bleach which is around 2.5ppm FC in my pool.

I do the same with muriatic acid and estimate to the 1/4 bottle usually.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I measure (well my stenner does) precisely
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

5. Back To Top    #5

I measure it to the nearest 8 ounces, but I always round up. For example, if it calls for 21 ounces, I will round up to 24.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

6. Back To Top    #6

I measure mine, but I also only test every other day, or even every third day. With the solar cover on and low bather load, I know that about 32 oz of 10% bleach every second day will keep things right around my target. I keep a plastic juice pitcher nearby, it has the 8 oz markings on the side so that makes it easy and also makes for less splashing due to the pour spout.
    Dedicated TFPer since 2012 with recommended test kit
    Above ground, 30 foot round pool, 21,000 gallons
    Hayward 150 sq foot cartridge filter, 1HP Waterway pump
    Raypak 400K BTU NG Heater!
    Installed in 2006? (just a guess, pool came with house I purchased in June 2012)

7. Back To Top    #7

When I get near my target I add a jug and let it coast back down over the next couple days. I test it each day ~ sometimes twice depending on bather load, sun and as of lately how much water I had to release because of all the rain. Friday evening because it gets a lot of use on the weekends & yard work~ I do kick it up a bit to preempt anything taking hold.

I guess because I go by the jug I do "measure" but I kind of take the lazy way out instead of getting precise every night with it. I stay a little ahead of my target (I have organics coming off the trees with all the wind and storms & little kiddos in who get out frequently to use the potty but I always make a silent wish they do so every single time
    AGP: 27' x 52" : 17,500 gallon
    300 lb. Sand Filter (75 gpm) / 1.5 hp pump
    Full Sun ~ All Day

8. Back To Top    #8

Nope. But then again, a quart of 12.5% works out exactly to 2 PPM in my 16000 gallon pool, so it's easy enough to eyeball it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

I cut the top off of a water bottle and keep it next to my chlorine. I know it is about 16 oz and I just eye ball it from there after using the pool calculator, and usually round up.
    27' above ground pool, cartridge filter, 2 speed 2HP Pump.

10. Back To Top    #10

I measure it more or less. I picked up a plastic measuring cup at the pool store for that purpose.

11. Back To Top    #11

I measure also. Just piece of mind for me.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

12. Back To Top    #12

I have high debris from trees this time of year, so I measure about 45 oz. of 10%. At other times the pool can require only 38 oz. or thereabout, to raise it the FC 2ppm needed daily.
    Alan in Wellington, FL - near West Palm Beach
    15,200 gal IG, painted plaster, 1988; 200 SqFt cartridge filter, 2013; 1.5 HP 1-speed pump (uprated), 2005; heat pump, 2005;
    soon to repair (dead) SWG AquaRite T-15 cell, 2005, and replace (dead) suction-side cleaner, 2005.
    Almost everything died this winter 2012-'13, and I know we shouldn't complain... but, Arrgh!

13. Back To Top    #13

I test and measure every night. It's my 5 minutes of "me" time....

Marvin
    24' x 54" Aqua Leader Influence Above Ground Pool
    Hayward Pro Series S180T Sand Filter w/Zeobrite
    Hayward Power-Flo Martix SP1592FP Pump
    Lamotte ColorQ Pro 7 Test Kit
    Aquabot Pool Rover Jr. Pool Cleaner
    All equipment is hard plumbed

14. Back To Top    #14

I love my SWG! When I do have to add chlorine, I figure the amount and then eyeball it. I know how many ppm are in a gallon for the size of my pool, and I add accordingly.. often rounding up a bit if I'm close to finishing a bottle.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

15. Back To Top    #15

I went to the restaurant supply store and got myself a nice Lexan 2 Qt measuring pitcher and a smaller plastic cup. Both have the scale as raised lettering on the outside so the chemicals cannot wash off the scales. This way if I drop it, it will bounce and not shatter.

I have the big one with the "milk" in it. Metric one side, US on the other. It was about $10 USD.

Most days I can measure in the the 40-60 oz I have needed to add each day. It works well for the MA that I do want more accurate.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

16. Back To Top    #16

I just eyeball it

After two years doing this i don't even test every day ...... i know my pool well and add chlorine every day and test every couple
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

17. Back To Top    #17

I always measure anything I put into the pool. For liquids, I use measuring cups similar to the pics in techguy's post. I make sure those measuring cups never find their way into the kitchen, which is not hard to do since I use glass cups for food measuring and the plastic ones for chemical measuring.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

18. Back To Top    #18

A jug of 96oz 6% will give me ~2.5 ppm if I need more or less then I measure. 37 oz is 1ppm but I round up to 40 for easy calculations. I have a measuring cup marked in oz up to 25. If I need .5 ppm then 20 oz, 1 ppm then 40 oz etc... I can usually do 1 jug one day and then a jug and a bit the next day. I get home from work the pump is running and I pour a jug in, after chores and maybe dinner I test and adjust as needed.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

19. Back To Top    #19

I measure also. Dollar General had some decent plastic 32 oz. cups on clearance for a buck. Bought two and marked with a Sharpie. One for bleach, one for acid. Measure, rinse, dry and back in the deck cabinet. I'm usually pretty spot on with where my FC is at and the amount I need to add.
    17,500 gal. ABG Doughboy Pool
    1/2 HP Pump/150 sq.ft. Cartridge Filter
    TF100 Test Kit And Speedstir

20. Back To Top    #20

I added marks every 32 oz. on the inside of my Home Depot bucket. I go out every 2 of 3 days too make sure the level went down at least 16 oz. per day. I check my FC when I do so to make sure it's between 3 and 6 (target 4-5). "Toss" some MA in every 2 or 3 days also (one 32 oz. Rudy's BBQ cup).
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    48 PentAir DE Filter with backwash valve
    PentAir Whisperflo pump with 1hp 2-speed motor
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    Intermatic Dual Timeclock with freezeguard
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast