Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool light without GFCI

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool light without GFCI

I recently noticed that our pool 110v LED light is missing a GFCI breaker - how dangerous is that?

Pool itself is 20+years old and light appears to be new / in good condition.

Traced the wires which are grounded and connected to a regular 15 amp fuse.

Thought about changing the fuse to a GFCI in the fuse box but unfortunately regular (skinny) sized GFCIs are not being sold and no more space in that box.

Any ideas?
    32x15 IG Borate+Salt, Pentair VS+SVRS, howard swim pure 40 SWG, Pentair 4000 48sqft DE, Mastertemp 300, Electric Pool Cover, Polaris P93, 4 Kids for Aeration, ;)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool light without GFCI

Are you saying you can not find the normal 1" wide GFCI breaker? That seems unlikely. Unless you are currently on one of the 1/2" breaker sizes.

My pool was the same way. I ended up adding a GFCI outlet and supplying the power to the light / switch on the load side of the GFCI outlet. I am not 100% sure that is to code, but certainly safer than nothing.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

yep... they really packed that fuse box with 1/2"" breakers to the max and I was hoping for a gfci that size.
    32x15 IG Borate+Salt, Pentair VS+SVRS, howard swim pure 40 SWG, Pentair 4000 48sqft DE, Mastertemp 300, Electric Pool Cover, Polaris P93, 4 Kids for Aeration, ;)

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, then you may want to consider what I did and add a GFCI outlet, could be right at the circuit panel, run off the light circuit.

What kind of panel do you have? Wondering if the small GFCI breakers are made for it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

A couple of solutions for you...
    You could install a GFCI recepticle near the breaker box and wire the light to the load side of it. That way it would be protected. Is there anything else on this circuit now?

Another option is to go to an electrical supply house to see if they have a narrow GFCI breaker to fit your box. Vest stores don't always carry the full product line for the manufacturer.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump