Converting from Baquacil to chlorine

Jul 8, 2013
Having trouble I think with my conversion I started yesterday. I do not have the recommend test kit as I can not afford it right now. I've spent over $600 at the pool store this summer alone! [attachment=0:1zhtlatz]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373467891.453942.jpg[/attachment:1zhtlatz]

Help!!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373467891.453942.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373467891.453942.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 154
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!! :wave:

Why do you think you are having trouble? Have you read the countless conversion threads here to see what to expect?

You are certainly going to struggle and waste some money by not having one of the recommended test kits. What is < $100 for the required tool that will save you money when you have already thrown $600 down the drain.

Well, if you are following the conversion method, you know that the answer is more chlorine ... there is no shortcut, well besides draining and starting over which would still require following the conversion process.

Drained below skimmer yesterday. Washed the basket in the pump. It was completely covered in green slim and hair...etc...

I flocked twice already. Vacuumed to waste. Brushed. Vacuumed to waste again. Added more fresh water.

Added bleach again this morning after I Backwashed and rinsed.

Not a baqugoo expert but my understanding is you need the TF100XL and lots and lots of bleach. I know the cost of the kits can be daunting but it will save you lots of time, effort and money during the conversion and this summer. I say the XL as you will be testing f or chlorine in the 10-30 PPM range several times per day. The other test kits stop at 5 PPM and you need to accurately measure up to 30 PPM.

The bleach you need for this process can be 10 to 50 gallons of bleach. How much will depend on how often you add chlorine and how much goo you find in your pool. More frequent additions appear to make it go faster and use less chlorine. The CL is used to consume the goo you have now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
MJReno8 said:
I've read it so much I have it memorized! I've also read many threads on here...
I'll have to wait...
:)

And yet you are asking a lot of questions that are not part of the process ... like algaecides and pucks and talking about using flocks.

You just need a lot of liquid chlorine at this point and a way to consistently keep the FC around 15ppm ... the kit you ordered will certainly help. What kind of testing ability do you currently have?

What step in the conversion process do you think you are on?

Later you will need to add stabilizer which is cyanuric acid and yes it can be found at Walmart.

For a BGoo to CL conversion, at the beginning, all you will really need is a truck load (20 bottles? to start) of chlorine. If your PH was good to begin, you can't measure it until the next time your CL is below 10 so keep filtering and keep your FC up to the recommended levels, every hour at the start.

You need the TF kit to be able to measure your FC as it will be in the 10-30 PPM range for the foreseeable future and the "store" test kits can't measure this range accurately (I see you ordered--good job!)

Really, nothing else matters until you get back to a clear pool and your FC holds overnight.

Ok thanks. It is looking better.
vyby4e7e.jpg

Keep adding CL, keep pumping.

If you want to do something productive, brush your walls, brush your floors. Take out your ladder and wash it.

What is that hanging into the pool off the back wall? Take it out and wash it, too.

I would assume (dangerous, i know) that you should take out the lamp, take it apart as much as you can, and wash it out. I could be full of the B-goo and it will take longer to clean it in the water than if you took it apart and did it manually. it is amazing the stories i read about where this stuff hides in a pool.

I have read these stories for years and I am always impressed by the results of an aggressive conversion. Those that let the pool take it's time struggle much longer than those that attack it with a vengeance.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.