Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: When should I clean my filters

1. Back To Top    #1

When should I clean my filters

I just started working taking care of a commercial pool and spa. I want to know how often or when to clean my DE filter grids. They are in a tank on the suction side of the pump. I mounted pressure and vacuum gauges for the system. When filters are clean the pressure reads 18 PSI and the vacuum is at 8". The previous person said to clean once or twice a week but in pool school they said that frequent cleaning, when not needed, is a waste of time and money for the DE powder. Tell me what you guys/gals think.
    68,826 gallon plaster IG pool. DE filter grids on suction side. 5 HP @ 175 GPM

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: When should I clean my filters

We recommend cleaning filters/backwashing when you have a pressure rise of 25% of normal pressure. Welcome!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

We recommend cleaning filters when three pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure. But that is for filters on the pressure side of the pump and we are mostly residential.

Seems odd and inefficient to have the filters on the suction side.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Just curious, do you have, or have you found the local municipal/state/city/county ordinances for pool maintainence?

How are you testing the water?

How are you chlorinating the pool?

Did the previous person say clean as in open and remove grids? Or clean as in backwash?

I would use the knowledge you gain by reading here over what the previous person said, but i would also want to know what expectations the government has for your pool chemical levels and or maintainence procedures.

I guess you all have a log for chemcial testing, might be useful to post a picture of it and let people comment.

Welcome!
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by harleysilo
    Just curious, do you have, or have you found the local municipal/state/city/county ordinances for pool maintainence?
    Yes I have.
    How are you testing the water?
    Test Kit and State comes out once a year for inspection.

How are you chlorinating the pool?
    Auto feeders and liquid chlorine.
    Did the previous person say clean as in open and remove grids? Or clean as in backwash?
    Drain tank and spray off grids that pump to waste.

I would use the knowledge you gain by reading here over what the previous person said, but i would also want to know what expectations the government has for your pool chemical levels and or maintainence procedures.
    Chemicals in pool and spa are checked daily.

I guess you all have a log for chemcial testing, might be useful to post a picture of it and let people comment.
    I will get pictures and post them.

Welcome!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks all and thanks for the welcome. On my 1800 gallon Spa I clean the Hayward C2025 filter cartridge when pressure rises 10 PSI over clean. It has a pressure dial with green and red pointers spaced 10 PSI apart. Runs at 10 PSI clean and 20 PSI I clean the filters.

More interested in the pool filter though. CPT school said over cleaning is a waste of time and DE powder. It has 18 grids that measure 18" X 24" that give me a filter surface area of 108 sq/ft. I use about 12.5 pounds of DE per cleaning which at 1 cleaning/week is 50 pounds of DE per month. I am trying to reduce this and save myself time.

Thanks.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by daltana
    Thanks all and thanks for the welcome. On my 1800 gallon Spa I clean the Hayward C2025 filter cartridge when pressure rises 10 PSI over clean. It has a pressure dial with green and red pointers spaced 10 PSI apart. Runs at 10 PSI clean and 20 PSI I clean the filters.

More interested in the pool filter though. CPT school said over cleaning is a waste of time and DE powder. It has 18 grids that measure 18" X 24" that give me a filter surface area of 108 sq/ft. I use about 12.5 pounds of DE per cleaning which at 1 cleaning/week is 50 pounds of DE per month. I am trying to reduce this and save myself time.

Thanks.
    Well the standard answer of cleaning when pressure increases by 20-25% has already been given with the caveats for your situation.

Have you witnessed a cleaning yet? What do the grids look like before cleaning?

After 1 weeks, do you notice water flow diminishing? Do you have a flow meter installed somewhere? Pressure guage on filters?
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    SWCG and D.E. Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

This is waiting too long probably as well ... should likely be cleaning before a pressure of 13psi so that the flow is not significantly reduced.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks.
    Well the standard answer of cleaning when pressure increases by 20-25% has already been given with the caveats for your situation.

Have you witnessed a cleaning yet? What do the grids look like before cleaning? Yes I have and the grids are in good condition.

After 1 weeks, do you notice water flow diminishing? Do you have a flow meter installed somewhere? Pressure guage on filters? No, water flow does not diminish. Flow meter installed on return to pool. no pressure gauge on filters as they are in a tank. Vacuum gauge before pump and pressure gauge after the pump.

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

They are in a tank on the suction side of the pump
    That would seem VERY unusual to me. Are you sure they are on the suction side?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

Do you mean they are in a tank, as in an unpressurized tank? Like a fishtank with no lid?

Pictures of all of this would be neat.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    SWCG and D.E. Filter

12. Back To Top    #12

Do you mean they are in a tank, as in an unpressurized tank? Like a fishtank with no lid?

Pictures of all of this would be neat.
    Yes an unpressurized tank. It has a hinged lid to keep debris out and to clean. Tried to add a pic but said it was invalid?

13. Back To Top    #13

Pool filter
    Attached Images Attached Images

14. Back To Top    #14

WOW, that is for a 60K pool? Looks like something i'd rig up for a pond or something. How do you distribute DE powder after cleaning?
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    SWCG and D.E. Filter

15. Back To Top    #15

Pool pump Pit
    Attached Images Attached Images

16. Back To Top    #16

WOW, that is for a 60K pool? Looks like something i'd rig up for a pond or something. How do you distribute DE powder after cleaning?
    Slowly pour 12.5 pounds of DE in the water while precoat valve is open. This is a 10 year old pool.