blocked pipe

annem

Jul 10, 2013
I have an infinity pool. It has 2 pumps. One operates as normal taking water from a drain in the base and thingy in the side where you attach the vacuum. I've just had it replaced and glass beads in filter and all is well.

The other pump takes water from a huge tank up to the pool and back down via the infinity overflow. Also had to have this pump replaced. Both done in March. |Repairer showed me pump working but not that water was flowing. I've only just started it as there have been family probs.

The pump is definitely working from the tank to the pump but no water is coming out of the pool inlets from this pump.

Installer has said there must be a blockage (glad I didn't have to pay for that!) and that they will have to access beneath the pool to check the pipes and perhaps replace them. Well this is going to involve making a hole in the wall and goodness how much expense. I just cannot believe that there isn't some way of trying to shift a blockage first something like Dyno-rod do. So basically a blockage in the push part of the pump.

Any advice welcome.

Welcome to TFP.

I don't understand how water can be moving from the tank to the pump but not from the pump to the pool? :scratch:

When the pump is running does the edge overflow?

Can you post a picture or drawing of the pumping system?

The person who is now cleaning my pool has opened the valve to the pump and water flows in. Turn on the pump and you can see water swirling around the pump. However no water flow s out of the inlets up in the pool. We have 5 inlets. 3 come from the normal circulating through filter pump, the other two are inlets from the pump from the infinity overflow pump tank.

No the edge doesn't overflow because no extra water is getting up from the tank.

I'll try to take some photos although it's a bit dingy in the pool room.

Here are a couple of photos.

The second shows the general set up with the huge overflow tank on the right and peeking from behind the sand filter is the overflow pump.

In the first you can see the overflow pump set up.The red valve tap nearest the tank is closed but when open and pump on water swirls into the pump which you can see through clear lid. The left hand red tap leads to waste. They are closed now as system is off.The pipe you can just make out leading up through a right angle goes up to the pool. When the pool is full the water flows over the top and back down into the tank.

At the moment when the appropriate valves are open water swirls around the pump but none arrives at the pool.

The installer's mate reckons there is a blockage and I need to break into the walls surrounding the pool to locate the blockage and maybe replace pipes.

I've had these two new pumps, replaced the sand with glass and needed a new light. I just cannot afford all to do anymore.

Surely there is a way to blow through the pipes just like dyno-rod for drains.

Installer did replace a non-return valve but I can't remember which one. He had to go back to UK and has not contacted me since.

I'm pretty fed up as my husband is desperately ill so any advice would be great.

Attachments

• pool main.jpg
    pool main.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 123
  • pool overflow.jpg
    pool overflow.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 123
Let's make sure i understand how this works.

When it's set up to run, the valve off the tank is open, the valve on the pump discharge (about shoulder high) is open and the pump is running? Is that correct?

There appears to be a check valve on the tank outlet just past the valve and one on the pump discharge below the discharge valve. Have you rmoved either of those to make sure they're not stuck?

I would remove the discharge check valve and set the pump up to run by opening the tank valve and just bump the pump on a few seconds and see if water comes out the line. Be aware, You're going to get wet!!!

If water comes out there then the blockage is somewhere above that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Those valve looking items without handles that are just after and just before the red handled valves appear to be check valves. They allow flow in only one direction. They should have an arrow on them in the direction of flow. See if they do.

You are a star my man! (rather sexist of me to asssume you are male!!).

You mean "Check" as in stop? What we call non-return? I had thought you meant check as in take a look at.

Anyway yes there are 2 as you say and they both have flow arrows on. Trouble is the one beyond the pump has the arrow going down towards the pump where the water flow should be going up away from the pump.

Looks like the installer put it on the wrong way?

he showed me the pump seeming to work but I did not think to wait to see that the tamnk was emptying and water arriving at the pool.

I have a great new cleaner. he should be able to do that fairly easily I think.

I hadn't asked him to investigate not wanting to pay him when I felt it was the installers res;ponsibility.

If that's all that needs doing I might ask the original guy or just get thr new one to do it.

Thanks, Anne xx

Luckily those are tru-union valves. Meaning that they have a union half on each end. That makes it real easy to change. All you need to do is unscrew the two union halves and turn the plug (non-return part) around and screw the union halves back on. Just make sure that the o-rings stay in place. There is one on each end of the section.

Brilliant. The arrow was right at the back close to the wall so I had to use a mirror! Still I would have thought maybe the professional might have checked that.

Anyway getting it working is the main thing.

Thanks you so much for your help. I really do appreciate it.

Thank you so much Dave J moderator!! My pool cleaner has just turned it around for me and it's working perfectly. He hasn't changed one before so it was a useful exercise for him. Took a couple of minutes only. I could probably have done it but it was nice not to have to.

Very best to you,

Anne xx

Me too. Imagine had I been naive and let them break through walls surrounding pool and replace pipes! Good forums (fora?) such as this one have saved me loads of hassle as well as money. I have recommended you to my pool cleaner should he encounter a problem he can't solve.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.