Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Balanced but sightly green and cloudy????

1. Back To Top    #1

Balanced but sightly green and cloudy????

Hello my pool is an Intex 18x48 Above Ground Pool. This is my first pool ever and only ever done BBB. I've read pool school and kept a very pretty pool. Until now.

The water was crystal clear and pretty until the beginning of July. It just started getting cloudy now and then.

I first noticed I needed more and more bleach on a daily basis so I checked my CYA level and it had dropped from 40 to 30. I added more stabilizer and continued checking my FC level and adjusting each night to 6 (Pool Calc says my goal should be 3 to 7 and the CYA chart says 5). I shocked the pool on the 2nd for the first time and the water went back to clear the next day.

I test morning and night, clean the pool daily, brush weekly (unless needed), vacuum weekly, clean filter cartridge weekly, change filter monthly.

The water was a little cloudy this morning with a little staining on the bottom. Tonight it has a green tinge to it, cloudy and the bottom is staining brown (like tea stains) around the edge but my numbers are kept in the proper range. Tested first thing this am and was still testing above 5.

Tonight's numbers are as follows: (HTH 6 Kit)
    FC = 2 added 40 oz of 8.25 bleach (we've had high 90s to 100s temp here)
    PH = 7.2
    TA = 150
    CH = 250
    CYA = 30 (lower again after adding 12 oz liquid stabilizer yesterday for a 35 level)

Could the high heat be affecting my CYA & bleach levels? Also my vacuum uses the water hose. I think that might be added to the loss of cya.

I usually buy my bleach at ALDI. This last batch is dated 5/27/2013 which seems old to me.

I am thinking I need to shock the pool again. I only have a basic HTH 6 test kit for chlorine so how do I know how much bleach to add the next night if it only tests to 5?

Any thoughts?
    Intex AG 2252 / 10421 Gallons / Vinyl liner
    Pool Set up - May 2016
    2650 gal/hr Intex Krystal Clear Pump- Type B Filter
    Intex SWG
    TFTestkit / SpeedStir Magnetic Stirrer!!! / BBB method only

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Balanced but sightly green and cloudy????

Welcome to TFP!

What is the source of your fill water (well or municipal)?

Quote Originally Posted by Deb_B
    Tonight it has a green tinge to it, cloudy and the bottom is staining brown (like tea stains) around the edge but my numbers are kept in the proper range.
    One quick way to determine if these stains are from metals in the water or whether they are of organic origin is to take a Vitamin C tablet and hold/gently rub on the stain. If it begins to lift after about 30-60 seconds, then it is a metal stain. If not, then it is organic.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

The heat isn't affecting CYA. CYA only goes down when water leaves the pool due to vacuuming/draining or splashout. High heat will increase your FC consumption.

Best way would be to buy a FAS-DPD test to supplement your kit, because yes, to properly SLAM the pool, you have to know the FC level.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

4. Back To Top    #4

I woke up this morning to a green swamp. I can still see the bottom but it is gross.

Testing with Vit C is not an option for me as I do not want to climb in the pool. The stains are on the bottom. eew... I think I can bribe my hubby to do it but I really think I am dealing with algae.

Oh and I do not have well water.

This morning's numbers (regular oto kit)

FC 5
    PH 7.2

The rest I did not retest from last night..

I added enough bleach to get the FC level up to the CYA chart recommended level of 12 just to get something started.

I have on hand from when we purchased the pool 2 pouches of HTC Shock and one 16 oz bottle of shock and swim.

Can I do the HTH way and just add the shock product each day until it clears since I don't have the good test kit?

Thanks everyone for your replies.
    Pool Set up - May 2016
    Intex SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

Need a good kit. I'm sure it's been done without, but if you choose to go that route, there will be a lot of time and money wasted along the way.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

6. Back To Top    #6

"Shock product" is going to add CYA (most likely) or Calcium (a little less likely) depending on which product you use.

Please read through this so you'll understand what the process entails.
    SLAM Process
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

No one has the k 2006 locally. Is there another kit that has what I need?
    Pool Set up - May 2016
    Intex SWG

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes and it is better ... the TF100 ... but you will not find it locally either

I would suggest dealing with the algae and then worrying about the possible metals when the water is clear:
    Defeating Algae
    Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis
    SLAM Process
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

That is my plan as soon as I can find a kit locally that will give me the numbers I need to SLAM
    Pool Set up - May 2016
    Intex SWG

10. Back To Top    #10

You can get the TF 100 pretty quick.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Deb_B
    That is my plan as soon as I can find a kit locally that will give me the numbers I need to SLAM
    There is a 99+% chance you will not find an acceptable kit locally ... unless, you have a commercial pool supply store that may have the K-2006. Most retail stores will not have any idea what you are talking about. The key is the FAS-DPD chlorine test ... it is NOT, repeat NOT the same as the DPD chlorine test.

Where are you located?

Please add your pool details to your signature and location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

According to 2 pool stores (Pool Warehouse and Leslies) I actually have a 70 CYA and I have been chlorinating for a 30/40 CYA targeting 6, which is not good. With the hot an longer days my FC was dropping to 3 and sometimes 2. Plus I missed a day do to a family emergency. Basically I had a algae crock pot.

CC was 0 at both stores and the rest of the numbers were about the same as my originals.

I am following the "Turning Your Green Swamp" advice for what to do without the FAS/DPD kit which I am ordering right now in another tab.

Lots and Lots of bleach.
    Pool Set up - May 2016
    Intex SWG

13. Back To Top    #13

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped me. Sorry its taken so long. I've been taking care of a very ill father-in-law.

We have a crystal clear pool again! We had to do without a test kit but the Swamp to Oasis post was EXCELLENT in guiding us!!!

I did get my FAS/DPD kit! I love it.

Again thanks everyone..

FC 4.5
    CC 0
    CYA 30
    PH 7.5
    TA 150
    CH 190

Water is clear as a bell!
    Pool Set up - May 2016
    Intex SWG

14. Back To Top    #14

:GOODJOB:

TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

15. Back To Top    #15

Congratulations! Now you can enjoy your pool!
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100