Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is this Calcium Scaling?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is this Calcium Scaling?

First off, the important stuff:

FC 3
    CC 0
    CYA 5-10 (trying to raise this)
    pH 7.8 (just added a gallon of 14.5% muriatic acid, which should lower this considerably)
    TA 230
    CH 160

Now, I've noticed this around my water line - is it calcium scaling? Is this a reason to lower my TA (aside from wanting to go to borates)?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Filled 5/1/2013! 36k gallon 20x40 IG with 7x7 spa, FinestFinish, AquaMatic cover, All Pentair: Clean&Clear 520 sqft cartridge filter, Intelliflow 4x160 variable speed pump, 2 HP whisper flow spa jet pump, 400k BTU MasterTemp heater, Letro Platinum pool cleaner, Rainbow 320 chlorine feeder, Pac Fab Bermuda skimmer
    More details: pics-new-pb-20x40-ig-gunite-7x7-spa-7x7-shamu-shelf-t54952.html

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is this Calcium Scaling?

It's hard to tell from the pic, but the classic signs of a calcium ring are not jumping out at me. When I moved in to our current house, the pool had a much more prominent calcium ring (which has since disappeared since going BBB). Your CH number is actually a bit low for a plaster pool for which the ideal range is between 250-350 ppm. Your pH and TA are on the high side, as you have noticed. Focus primarily on lowering pH to the lower half (e.g., 7.2 - 7.5) of the recommended range. Periodic additions of Muriatic Acid to keep pH in check will also lower TA.

BTW, keep raising CYA - you want a minimum of 30 ppm.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

So it's probably just grime? I brushed it, and it didn't budge. How can I safely clean it, without causing soap bubbles in my water?
    Filled 5/1/2013! 36k gallon 20x40 IG with 7x7 spa, FinestFinish, AquaMatic cover, All Pentair: Clean&Clear 520 sqft cartridge filter, Intelliflow 4x160 variable speed pump, 2 HP whisper flow spa jet pump, 400k BTU MasterTemp heater, Letro Platinum pool cleaner, Rainbow 320 chlorine feeder, Pac Fab Bermuda skimmer

4. Back To Top    #4

A pumice stone and elbow grease is how you clean that. It will sound awful - like fingernails on a chalkboard - but it works and you won't see scratches. You will see a lot of pumice grit on the bottom of the pool that you'll need to vacuum up. And it takes a huge toll on shoulders, so predose yourself with some motrin.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Lol sounds good, thanks for the suggestions!