Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: how to handle gnats problem

1. Back To Top    #1

how to handle gnats problem

Not sure when to post this question, I hope it's OK to post it in this section.

I am having a different type of problem. I seem to have what looks like tens of thousands of tiny flies or gnats flying near the surface of the water along the edges. Some of them will clump together and looks like spots in the pool. Any suggestions what to do? I don't think I can spray anything without it getting into the pool and would probably be useless anyway.
    20,000 gal, In-Ground (built in 2007)
    Vinyl lining / 1HP Hayward SuperPump / Hayward Pro-Grid DE Filter / Hayward Gas Heater / Liquid Chlorine,Bleach (4 Gallon Liquidator)
    Dohney Discovery Robot
    Testing Method: TFTestkits/TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: how to handle gnats problem

What FC level are you maintaining and what is your cya level?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Cya level is 80 ( I know its s little high) and my FC level is between 5-6 ppm
    20,000 gal, In-Ground (built in 2007)
    Vinyl lining / 1HP Hayward SuperPump / Hayward Pro-Grid DE Filter / Hayward Gas Heater / Liquid Chlorine,Bleach (4 Gallon Liquidator)
    Dohney Discovery Robot
    Testing Method: TFTestkits/TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

At a cya of 80, your FC level should not fall below 6 ppm. I would bring the pool up to 11 ppm FC (upper normal level for cya of 80) for a couple of days and see if the gnats disappear.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Fly paper. Ive used fly paper in the garden and around my vegetables and it catches all sorts of bugs including gnats. Fly paper just dont look all that great though.
    18,000 Gallon Aboveground. Sand Filter with 2HP 2 speed Pump.