Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Center drain for above ground pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Center drain for above ground pool

Are center drains still recommended for above ground pools? I read a few sites that said center drains are being replaced with automatic cleaners. I'm looking to install a 15x30 oval pool.
    Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Center drain for above ground pool

Welcome to tfp, tricitydeals

What climate do you live in? If you live in a northern climate that freezes I would not do a center drain. Not worth the risk of freezing or the work to prevent it imo.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for quick response. I'm from upstate ny. I assume I should stick with a automatic cleaner?
    Where can I find post on leveling the ground for for oval pool? I can't seem to find any search features.

4. Back To Top    #4

Use the google search up near the top right of each page.

As for the bottom drain in your climate...I would skip it.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.