Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help with targets?

1. Back To Top    #1

Help with targets?

Hey all. Posted a few days ago in another topic about getting my test kit and next steps...that convo came to a stand still, so I'm hoping to get some final help with my target levels to put into pool calculator when my FAS-DPD kit comes in and i'm ready to start the shock process. (green pool currently, sigh). I want to know which of the BBB chemicals to purchase and what to add to get all my chemistry in balance!

So my levels the other day were (and I fully intend to retest once full kit is here)

Currently at: (and I'm aware that we literally have no chlorine in the pool; we went away to NY for a week and came back knowing we'd start fresh, only have the dreaded tablets I've been told not to use, so we haven't added anything until we know for sure what to do for shocking process)
    FC: 0
    TC: 0
    pH: 7.4
    TA: 50
    CYA: 45
    CH: 110

Based on my stats below, any help with what targets should be at? If CYA is 45, using the chart I found here on tfp I should be FC shock level of around 18 (between 16 and 20), correct? So I'm going to maintain at shock level until the three criteria are met (CC of .5 ppm, overnight loss test of 1.0 or less, clear pool)....anything else I have to do? I know my TA should also be higher, between 70-90+...so my real question is, with such a range, 70-90, what do I put in as my target for the pool calculator??

Any help is sooooo appreciated!!
    Charlotte, NC
    16x32 pool, 3ft shallow end, 8 foot deep end
    Hayward Sand Filter
    Vinyl

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help with targets?

I'd shoot for a TA of 70 to start with.

Everything else looks good.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

I want to know which of the BBB chemicals to purchase and what to add to get all my chemistry in balance!
    Right now, all you need is plain, unscented liquid bleach without any thickeners...and lots of it. Job 1 is to get rid of the algae which involves SLAMing the pool (formerly called The Shock Process). As soon as your FAS-DPD kit arrives, you can begin this process. Once the pool is cleaned up, we can then focus on any water balancing adjustments that may be needed.

Quote Originally Posted by weilerfamily0906
    If CYA is 45, using the chart I found here on tfp I should be FC shock level of around 18 (between 16 and 20), correct?
    Yes.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

Just kill it.

Everything else is easily fixed once the water's clear.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Yay thanks everyone!! Ordered the FAS-DPD today and I already have the DPD kit from Leslie's for the rest; once those both run out/next season I'm definitely getting the TF100. Once that's here I'm ready to SLAM (love the new name ) this swamp!!
    Charlotte, NC
    16x32 pool, 3ft shallow end, 8 foot deep end
    Hayward Sand Filter
    Vinyl