Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help! Red clay from flash flood

1. Back To Top    #1

Help! Red clay from flash flood

Across the street new construction silt fencing was not strong enough for the flash flood we encountered tonight. I now have a very cloudy pool from red clay. I lowered the pool water and now am running filter and polaris. SWG is on super chlorinate. Any other suggestions?? Will my filter be wrecked???

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help! Red clay from flash flood

Welcome to TFP!!!

I would recommend saving the life of the SWG and switch to liquid chlorine. What kind of filter do you have? It will not be wrecked as long as you clean it whenever the pressure rises 20-25% over the normal clean pressure.

Check out the same discussion in this thread:
    flood-water-in-pool-need-help-please-t65645.html
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP.

That's a bummer. I would keep an eye on filter pressure and backwash as needed.

Good luck.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks everyone for the quick replies. I have a Hayward Pro Series Sand filter. Pool is 21,000 gal. and was perfectly balanced before all this South Carolina rain we have been getting. I will send hubby out to the store for bleach. Any idea how much to start with?? Our chlorine level was around 6 before all the rain this week.

5. Back To Top    #5

Chlorine level will depend on your CYA level. Can you test for CYA and post result ? 6 is for a cya level of 30 ppm.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

Unfortunately I can't. Stupidly been relying on pool store numbers. Before this, CYA was at 60.

7. Back To Top    #7

I would suggest a skimmer sock or some panty hose to catch some of that extra red clay too.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

8. Back To Top    #8

It would be much easier to clear your pool if you invest in the proper test kit, which can be found in my signature.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.