Pump Wiring Issue - solved

May 9, 2013
North East Ohio
Ok, so hopefully this makes sense.

I have a Jandy FloPro FHPM 2 speed pump http://www.zodiacpoolsystems.com/Products/Pumps/Single-Two-Speed-Pumps/FloPro.aspx , wired at 220V with a Intermatic P1353ME Timer, this one http://intermatic.com/Products/Pool..._Timer_Mechanisms/P1000ME_Series/P1353ME.aspx

My PB told me I ALWAYS have to turn OFF the pump before I switch speeds, ok easy enough.

EXCEPT - what happened today.

To give a bit more info...Circuit 1 is the HIGH sped and Circuit 2 is the low speed, (3 is the light if it matters).

I decided to take a quick swim after work and brush the walls a bit to clean some of the fine dirt...manually turned the pump on HIGH. About 5 minutes later, MASSIVE BUZZ and the pump died. OH BOY, not good, what the heck.

Ran over to timer and dang...I forgot that I had the autotimer set to kick on the low speed pump at 6 PM, so what happened was the pump was running on HIGH, then the timer tried to turn it on LOW and WHAM - it froze or at least sounded like it did.

I tried to turn both off and fired back up the low and nothing....so I waited.

Tried again and the low came on - then I could turn on / off like usual, etc. So it seemed that no massive damage, unless I shorted the live of something.

Bottom line, this just does NOT SEEM RIGHT to me ?? Especially when I see other posts about switching low/high while on the fly.

Any help is appreciated.

Re: Pump Wiring Issue

That certainly sounds like it is wired incorrectly. The pump requires 3 LINE wires (common, high and low). You should only be sending power to the motor on 2 of the LINEs at a time (C+H or C+L). It sounds like somehow you have it wired to allow power to hit all 3 lines at the same time?

With just a manual SPDT switch, you have one of the LINEs enter the middle of the switch and the 2 outside terminals wired to the High and Low on the pump ... so only 1 can be powered at a time.

I will have to look at the manual for your digital timer and try to figure out how it should be done.

Can you add a picture and explanation of the current wiring?

Ok, at least it sounds fixable...hopefully no damage.

I will try to take some pics, electrical work is my weak link, so hopefully the pics will help. More later and thanks much!

It is getting a bit dark and raining...so I will have to wait till tomorrow am to check it out.

The wiring diagram leaves something to be desired. Basically, one of the LINE wires should go directly to the motor Common terminal. The other LINE wire should be connected to both terminals 3 and 5 in the timer. Then the HIGH wire to the motor comes off terminal 4 and the LOW wire to the motor comes off terminal 6.

My guess is that the timer is not set to MODE 2 ... which allows only Circuit 1 or 2 to be closed at a time.

I'm interested in how you have it wired now.
Do you have a separate switch that runs it on high and bypasses the timer?

If the timer is wired and set up correctly it shouldn't allow that to happen.

There is no separate switch other than the timer. The timer has 3 "buttons" which is an on/off for each circuit. It looks like he has them wired "independently" using the wrong mode. Meaning think of it as three separate switches on a wall.

I press button 1, high comes on...press it again, high goes off, same with button 2, press and low comes on then press again low goes off. If they are both ON at the same time, all heck breaks loose...like I said, hopefully my motor is not screwed up from my mistake, but geez it is so easy to make, especially when using multiple programs a day. I will try and take some pics later....

Ah crude...so if the pump is still running fine is it safe to say there is NO DAMAGE or would what happened shorten the life span of my motor. I am so angry at my PB !!

If no long term damage, then I will calm down or if possible I want to beat up my PB for a new pump.

Wow - I am not a wiring whiz, but this looks nuts.

I don't even know where to start.

[attachment=2:eek:f93k5rs]Pump 1.jpg[/attachment:eek:f93k5rs]

[attachment=1:eek:f93k5rs]Pump 2.jpg[/attachment:eek:f93k5rs]

[attachment=0:eek:f93k5rs]Pump 3.jpg[/attachment:eek:f93k5rs]

Attachments

• Pump 1.jpg
    Pump 1.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 70
  • Pump 2.jpg
    Pump 2.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 70
  • Pump 3.jpg
    Pump 3.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 70

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Well, first thing is I see that the timer is set for mode 1. That needs to change. :)

That's not nearly as bad a wiring job as I've seen but it could be a lot neater.
It appears to be wired correctly. The blue wire is L1, the red wire is high and the black wire is low. And you said that circuit 3 is a light.

I agree. The wiring APPEARS to be correct assuming the blue, red and black are running to the motor as Bama said (which they appear to be in the last picture). I think you just need to change to Mode 2 and call it a day.

yes, they are running to the motor...wow I am so freaked. If I am wrong will really bad things happen? Or am I just a worry wart.

once I switch to mode 2, I assume I should try a few test, like turn on low by self then off, turn on high by itself then off, then the big test, the SWITCH from HIGH to LOW ?

Correct, this pump should be able to switch on the fly ? Wonder my by PB was telling me that kills the life of the pump and that is why he did it this way (which is what he said when I questions him this AM)

But I trust this FORUM way more than my PB.

You should be able to switch on the fly .... will not hurt the motor. Mine does this at least twice a day.
I am not exactly sure how that timer works, but I would think once in Mode 2 you should be able to just hit the button for the speed you want (and not have to turn the other off first) ... that is the point of Mode 2.

I think your PB just did not know what they were doing with the timer and told you what they did so you were not energizing both speeds at once.

In fact I let him know, and he was kind of "******" that I switched it...but hey it is my pump correct ? I think he is a bit offended at me though overall, mostly because he was trying pushing hard for a Eco Smarte system and then he was pushing hard to "buy" all kinds of chems so he could "train" me on how to manage the chemistry...he was REALLY mad when I did not want the Phosphate Remover :)

Oh well...he is a great guy, just sometimes doesn't see the forest through the trees.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.