Need help with levels

May 22, 2008
I have a 16' x 4' AGP. I have been using the 3 in 1 tabs from walmart for sanitizer and the shock they sell. I also have added their sanitizer and algicide and have used 3 jugs of the pH down trying to lower TA(using areation between doses of pH down) I went to the pool store and told them I added the shock first per the instructions before sanitizer and he asked me what I was shocking if there was no sanitizer. Are there any stickies explaining to me what shocking is?

Currently my levels are:

Testing with the HTH 6 way strips:
TH - 400
FC - 0
pH - 7.8
TA - off color
CYA - 30-50

Testing with the HTH 6 way drops:
TC - 0.5
pH - 7.5
TA - 280
TH - 540
CYA - I do not understand the disappering dot. It never dissapears.

The water is cloudy with no color. No burning in the eyes and yesterday, the FC was 10. Not sure what to do to keep chlorine in. Like I said, I am using the 3 in 1 tabs by HTH for sanitizer but would like to switch to using BBB. Can I just switch to that method?

Yes, you can just switch to that method. You don't need to use their "shock" or "algeacide"

Just use bleach. Read the "stickies" which will give you a link to the pool calculator to figure out your shock level. You have no CYA which is why the black dot is not disappearing. That is also called "stabilizer" which you can buy at Walmart. You ideally want that to be in the 30-50 ppm range, which will help your chlorine sanitize better. To lower your PH and TA, use Muratic Acid, which you can buy at Lowes or Home Depot, it comes in jugs. Ask a salesperson.

Welcome to TFP. YOu have found the right place, you'll have an inexpensive and sparkling clear pool in no time! :-D

I forgot to add,

The test strips are not very accurate. They said my CYA was normal, in the 30-50 range, when it was actually over 120 and it was a big source of my former pool troubles...

Stick to the drop test and perhaps upgrade it?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.