Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help with new pool package

1. Back To Top    #1

Help with new pool package

I am in the process of selecting a pool and equipment package for my family. I think I have decided on the 20' Matrix. I want to run a saltwater system. I am having dificulty seteling on a filtration system. I know everyone has thier favorite. I was leaning toward a sand filter. Should I do a Sta-rite 1 HP 19" filter or a Sta-rite 1.5 HP 22" filter? The specs on the smaller system says up to 19K gallons and I will have just over 10K gallons. Seems like it would be plenty, but there is only $35 diferance in price.

Also looking for recomendations for saltwater clorinators. Intex is cheap. Maybe too cheap? Was thinking Hayward AquaTrol. Don't want an in-pool like the Saltron because I know my kids will mess with it.

Would like to install 24" in ground, but was not recomended with the Matrix. Pools that are rated for semi-in-ground seem much higher priced. (Prob just do standard install)

Any other info is great. Total rookie trying to learn al this!
    20 x 52 Intex Ultra Frame AG, 8K gal, 1600 GPH Intex sand filter, Intex SWG (copper unplugged), setup 7//14/13 Pearland,TX

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help with new pool package

We just put up our INTEX 32x16 AGP. We went with the INTEX 2500 filter/SWG set up and it rocks. Does a great job circulating and chlorinating the 14,000 plus gallons of water.
    14,364gal AGP
    Intex Ultra Frame 16'x32'x52"
    Krystal Clear™ Sand Filter Pump & Saltwater System - 2,650 GPH**Nite-Brite Halogen Pool Light
    TF-100 Test Kit (This kit Rocks)

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to tfp, smithder

For a sand filter and your ~9400 gallon pool we would recommend a minimum 1.8 sq. ft. sand filter (or 18" diameter) but going bigger (to an extent) will be better.

For the pump, if you are going single speed I would not go any higher than a 1 hp. However, we would recommend looking at a 2-speed option. Here is a nice combo that would be great for your pool: http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/Penta...060DO2260.htm?

Personally, I have had good luck with my intex swg (it is on it's third year) in my 11000 gallon pool, but it is a no frills unit that once it dies is done.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

+1 for the 2 speed pump. I have a 1 hp 2 speed and love it.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

What does the two speed do for you?
    20 x 52 Intex Ultra Frame AG, 8K gal, 1600 GPH Intex sand filter, Intex SWG (copper unplugged), setup 7//14/13 Pearland,TX

6. Back To Top    #6

One thing it uses less electricity on low. It filters better on low because the water is going thru the filter slower. If I see the need for more skimming action I'll use high. For adding bleach I use high also to mix better.

For general filtration I use low.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.