How to fill in gunite around spa jets?

cword

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 26, 2008
I used the Waterway spa jets in my new pool build. As per the instruction you must cone the gunite back 4” behind the PVC pipe when finishing the wet gunite. I explained this to the guy during the shoot to which he replied "I know how to do these, this is the kind we always work with." Well...... obviously he did not, as the pipes were only coned back 2 1/2". The guy that has done much of the work on my pool had to take a hand saw, hammer and chisel etc and chip the gunite back 2 1/2' in order to get the niches in the right place for plaster (flush with the wall) The niches are in the right place now, however the hole around them is uneven and ugly from the chiseling back. He told me to mix up some Portland cement, sand, and water and fill in the uneven chisled area around the jets. Is this correct? Do I need to apply anything to the existing gunite first in order to get the Portland to adhere? Also do I fill in the Portland flush with the niche, or leave it coned back a bit. I can post some pics if it will help. He also had to chip back a few returns in the pool to get the wall fittings on. The guys that did my gunite did an extremely sloppy job and as any of you that have read my previous post already know. Also some of the PVC was not straightened during the shoot as well, so some of my fitting point a little downward or upward instead of straight out. Thanks again. I should sign....... always asking how to fix a screw up!
PS Pool to be plastered this week

owner build

sorry I should have reminded the board that this is an owner build. Any mistakes are mine to fix! The decking was poured yesterday and the concrete crew mixed up some portland I had here and filled in the holes for me. It was an easy fix, I just hope that was alright.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.