Hi from new pool owner

Jun 28, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Hi all, just moved to Missouri last fall and bought a house with a 36,750 gal IG, vinyl pool. I have a sand filter (Cristal-flo) and Centurion pump (faceplate is corroded so I'm not sure about the HP). I really did not have to do much of anything before we closed the pool for the winter (used a pool service company). But now that we've opened the pool, I've been trying to learn as much as I can from your site so I can take care of the pool myself. (I was only pool stored for 2 weeks). I got my Taylor K-2006 test kit and have been testing every day.

These were the numbers from the pool store, before I got my kit

TDS 1000
TA 110
pH 7.4
FC 4.0
TC 4.0
CYA 80

and after measuring for myself (couple of weeks later)
FC - 8.5
CC - .5
ph - 7.7
CYA 35
TA 120

My FC loss overnight is nil. I'm uncertain about my CYA levels since there was such a difference from the pool store test, but I suspect my test is more accurate. I loose quite a bit of chlorine during the day. To bring my CYA levels up I've been using tri-chlor pucks in my chlorinator. (Also hoping to bring my pH down a bit.) So far I've dissolved 4 8 oz pucks and just added 4 more pucks. I think 32 oz of tri-chlor will raise my CYA levels by 3.6 ppm. can anyone confirm? I will test again after the current pucks dissolve. I have been adding 1 gal of Vertex (10%) each night. Usually my FC levels are around 3-5 ppm in the AM. I think I have my chemical situation under control so far (knock on wood).

Couple of questions. My pump shroud has 2 pin hole leaks. Can i patch those? and with what? Also, I have no idea how old/good the sand is in my filter. The pressure on it reads 20 lbs but it seems like it never builds up past that.

Any advice or comments?

Great site and lots of useful information.
Thanks!

According to the Pool Calc, you're right about the CYA.

You might be able to patch the leaks with some epoxy depending on where they are.

Does the pressure gauge go to zero when the pump is off?

There are only a couple of reasons to change the sand and they are rare. You can clean and resettle it if you really think it needs it, but it doesn't sound like you're having a problem so I'd leave it alone.

Welcome to TFP!

Check out Pool School, link in upper right of every page.

Sand should never have to be changed, with one exception, and that probably doesn't apply to you.

Have you learned how to backwash the filter yet?

Pump shroud... can you post a pic? That would make it a bit easier to see what you are refering to.

Trust your own readings, especially since you have a good kit. Pool store testing is notoriously inaccurate, most often the employee has no clue what he/she is doing.

Does your gauge go to 0 with the pump off? Cheap insurance to replace if you have doubts about it.

Thanks for the reply, yes I have back washed the filter, A couple of weeks ago before I change out the pressure gauge.
I put a brand new one on since the old one was definitely broken. When the pump is off it goes to zero.

Here is a picture of the leak. There are actually 2 of these pin holes.

A5D57A48-76B4-4BA0-A670-401EB12381CA-14307-00000DFCBAD2FD5C_zps6861976d.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.