Semi Inground, pumps, filters, noise, priming, platform base

pmcd

May 31, 2013
Toronto, Canada
We have a 12.5'x21.5'x52" Esther Williams Millennium oval pool buried 29". It also has a salt system, solar panels on a flat roof (10' high about 25' away). The pool came with an AG sand filter + 1HP Pentair Dynamo combo sitting on a pre made plastic base which then sits on a concrete slab. The pump is self priming. I want to make changes in order to minimize noise from the pump and have more flexibility with the pump+filter base. The pump is plugged into a GFCI 115v outlet which is connected to a 15amp breaker in our panel. The pump stays outside during the winter ( in Toronto, Canada). Here are some questions which are simple but have baffled me.

1- Can I get rid of the plastic base that so many of these ABG pump+filter combos come with and place it on something else sitting on the concrete pad? What could that something be? Air conditioner units seem to sit on some plastic wood on concrete. The idea is to minimize vibrations from the pump. Where would you get this sort of thing?

2- The current pump is self-priming. Can I get away with one that isn't? For example, Waterway makes a 2-speed pump (1HP) which is appealing but is not self priming. They have a 1HP model which draws 8.8amps@115v and a 1.5HP which draws 11amps@115v. Our current pump draws 11amps@115v. Does this mean the 1HP Waterway pump is really a 3/4HP pump?

3- Would a cartridge pump, such as the Hayward XStream 100 or 150 sq ft be better than a sand filter in terms of filtering out small insects, debris from trees and such? Is it easier to clean or maintain than a sand filter? We had to pay someone to replace our sand and the job did not seem trivial. How often would you have to open the cartridge filter in order to clean it and is it easy. Would the Hayward filter work with a Pentair Dynamo pump or Waterway pump?

4- How difficult would it be to swap out the sand filter+Dynamo with say a Hayward XStream cartridge+Dynamo/Waterway? Are there better, ie easier to maintain, cartridge systems for this type of pool ( only 8k gallons). Does the cartridge filter need to be secured to the concrete?

5- We had original bought a Hayward SuperPump VSP which could go from 600 to 3700 rpm or so but the 220v issue became overwhelming. However, that pump was very quiet at lower rpm. Obviously overkill, but silent. The pump seemed to have quite a few electronics in it so I worried about keeping it outside during the winter ( no pool shed). Is that really an issue? Dismantling it would have been a pain.

6- The water is currently 4' deep everywhere. When the liner is changed would it be possible to increase the depth at some parts of the pool safely by simply digging more (by hand)?

Thanks,

Philip

Re: Semi Inground, pumps, filters, noise, priming, platform

For the noise, this.
smallP1000843.jpg

Not sure what you mean. Are you referring to the blue mat or whatever that is? Seems like nothing is actually bolted down.

Philip

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk HD

Yes, the blue foam mat does absorb alot of the vibrations. Why would you want to bolt down something that weighs 130+pounds? It makes a small imprint and does not shift what so ever. Then you can buy a plastic open lid/door shed and enclose it for the noise.

yister said:
Yes, the blue foam mat does absorb alot of the vibrations. Why would you want to bolt down something that weighs 130+pounds? It makes a small imprint and does not shift what so ever. Then you can buy a plastic open lid/door shed and enclose it for the noise.

Well, your pump and filter seem to be on a pad which is made for both. I am trying to get a pump which won't come combined with a filter so that the pump and filter would have to sit on a foundation of some type. The filter may not need to be screwed down but surely the pump would otherwise it will be dancing all over the place. I have a concrete pad. I would then have to put something on the pad ( perhaps artificial wood or whatever that plastic wood is called) and the perhaps a foam mat. The mat would get wet which is not going to be good for it over time. The pump at least would have to be bolted into the wood base? The shed idea is good. But then everything would have to be moved and the project turns into a nightmare.

I found a 2-speed Pentair Dynamo pump but I can't find out if it has an on/off switch or a switch between the two speeds.

Philip

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.