Does the BBB method save me money?

frustratedpoolmom

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
May 20, 2007
Key West, FL
Did the BBB method save me money?

This does not include tax, nor does it factor in gas to drive to my pool store (15 minutes away, and I’m sure I’m saving more money since I buy my bleach when I buy my groceries – one stop shopping).

2006 pool treatments purchased (local pool store prices) I probably forgot something…

1 Frog mineral reservoir $99
6 tri-chlor “bac pacs” @ $16.99 $101
12 Weekly “shock” treatments @$2.99 $156
1 bottle “Black Magic” $16
2 Bottles Liquid Shock $6
1 Winterizing kit $30
1 “PH UP” $6
1 bottle “Proteam Supreme” $11
1 “ALK Controller” $9
Test strips $10
Total $414 :shock:

2007 pool treatments purchased at local pool store and online supplier

1 Frog mineral reservoir $67
4 tri-chlor bac pacs @$15.99 $64
5 bags “schock” (asstd) $23
3 bottles “metal free” $60
2 containers of Calcium $18
10 jugs bleach 6% @ $1.29 $13
6 large jugs 6% @2.99 $18
4 jugs Liquid Shock 12.5% $10
water - 2 partial drains** $40
HTH 6-way test kit $16
Total $329

2008 pool treatment

To date: 5 jugs @$.99 - $1.29 $6
Anticipated: 25 jugs of bleach @ $1.29 $26Total $32 :-D

Optional:
TF Test kit $76 (inc. shipping)

** Water is expensive here, my monthly bill averages about $100. I noticed an increase of about $40 when I did the water replacement.

Okay, sure there may be other necessary expenses that could arise….maybe….possibly…..

I’m sticking with BBB…..
:rockon:

Another data point

I had been using Cal Hypo from Leslies's, sold as Power Powder Pro, $100 for 50 lbs, or $2 per lbs.

I used the pool calculator to figure out the equivalent amount of liquid chlorine that I have been recently using.
The liquid chlorine from either HD or OSH is basically the same cost as buying bleach from my local Costco, but OSH is on my way home, and less hassle then going to Costco.

I calculated that liquid chlorine/bleach is 43% cheaper than the Cal Hypo

Randy

FPM,

Your title of the thread will invite a lot of viewers so let me chime in even tho you didn't ask.

It's not that BBB saves you money over another more traditional way. It's that BBB teaches you to be in control of your own pool and prevents you from needlessly wasting money by throwing various chemicals into your pool hoping some good will come from it (it usually doesn't).

Simply put, BBB is knowledge. That knowledge is given to you from your own accurate testing and the help of others on this forum who have gone thru the same experience.

So, does it save you money? Well, more likely, it will prevent you from wasting hundreds seeking a goal that is almost unattainable unless you have the knowledge to test your water and then know what to do about it.

duraleigh said:
FPM,

Your title of the thread will invite a lot of viewers so let me chime in even tho you didn't ask.

It's not that BBB saves you money over another more traditional way. It's that BBB teaches you to be in control of your own pool and prevents you from needlessly wasting money by throwing various chemicals into your pool hoping some good will come from it (it usually doesn't).

Simply put, BBB is knowledge. That knowledge is given to you from your own accurate testing and the help of others on this forum who have gone thru the same experience.

So, does it save you money? Well, more likely, it will prevent you from wasting hundreds seeking a goal that is almost unattainable unless you have the knowledge to test your water and then know what to do about it.

What he said!

That's a good point. The irony is that the best way to manage a pool is so simple, yet we are confused and overwhelmed by massive numbers of chemicals that are at best useless, and at worst harmful to our pools (and in all cases expensive).

As always, those with knowledge fare better than those without. Fortunately, it doesn't take a lot of knowledge to get the basics down.

Not at all. You are one of the people that realized how simple it should be to manage a pool, and not one of the suckers that just makes the pool chemical companies rich. =)

Ugh...I am slightly PO'd that I bought into the whole pool store Crud about how I had to have the Pool Frog and it would save me time and money. Bleh.

I can't believe how lucky I am to have found this board! I am in the process of converting to the BBB method and can't wait until I am fully converted. I didn't find this board until months after we opened our pool, so naturally I went and bought the Mineral thing and the Bac Pacs! Ick. I feel sick at all the money I spent when I didn't have to!

I am sure this way will save me tons and I have to say thanks to Frustrated Pool Mom, she gave me some really great information and is a huge help! :)

Beanie said:
Ugh...I am slightly PO'd that I bought into the whole pool store Crud about how I had to have the Pool Frog and it would save me time and money. Bleh.

I can't believe how lucky I am to have found this board! I am in the process of converting to the BBB method and can't wait until I am fully converted. I didn't find this board until months after we opened our pool, so naturally I went and bought the Mineral thing and the Bac Pacs! Ick. I feel sick at all the money I spent when I didn't have to!

I am sure this way will save me tons and I have to say thanks to Frustrated Pool Mom, she gave me some really great information and is a huge help! :)

Ehhh - I got froggy too, along with bac-pacs and their algae preventer. I do know I don't have any algae, which I am happy about. I also am extremely glad I found this board before I got more than 2 bac-pacs, and before I kept the chlorine down to .5 for very long! I'm not sure how they say you can do that, when the minerals don't kill the bacteria nearly as fast as chlorine! I have 2 toddlers that swim in my pool quite often, one not potty trained yet, so I really want my water sanitized correctly, thank you very much! I still use tri-chlor, in a floater now, because my CYA was low enough to allow it, but I use bleach to shock, or when I feel the chlorine needs to be a little higher.

Re:

frustratedpoolmom said:
Matt said:
Fortunately, it doesn't take a lot of knowledge to get the basics down.

Should I be insulted? :wink: :lol:

Why? That's been the message for YEARS both here and at PoolForum.

It's simple (That means you don't need a PhD)

It's easy (That means you don't need to hire a babysitter while you are working on your pool).

And....You've been lied to by those who make their living off selling you expensive chemicals, many or most of which you don't need.

B-B-B is great short-hand to refer to the method and to the chems you need. Of course, it doesn't refer to Muriatic Acid, or Cyanuric Acid, and certainly not PolyQuat 60%. But that's OK.

The funny thing is that B-B-B is thought of as a "different" mode of pool care. It really isn't. All it is, is ORGANIZING all the things you need to know, and then making logical choices based on them. Such as: You need chlorine to sanitize. So....Bleach is chlorine that sanitizes AND DOESN'T DO ANYTHING ELSE!

Simple. Easy. Cheap. Effective.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Re:

CarlD said:
The funny thing is that B-B-B is thought of as a "different" mode of pool care. It really isn't. All it is, is ORGANIZING all the things you need to know, and then making logical choices based on them.

Yep. I tend to think of it more as a philosophy than a method.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.