TFP is great, now cloudiness issue

May 6, 2013
Houlton, Maine
I love TFP!!! :wave:

Thanks everyone

Seven months ago I inherited a pool with absolutely no knowledge about how to take care of one. Today, the water is crystal clear and sparkling and I don't imagine it will ever do anything else. I went into a pool store twice and only spent money on CYA despite being pressured to buy some other products. Nowadays, the proprietor looks at me expectantly but I only go in there to get cellulose fiber or some parts. Telling him what I am doing will only open the door for him to tell me to be careful and try to sell me something else! Now, I am relishing the thought of getting the pool surfaces into shape. And I have the knowledge about how to go about doing that now, thanks to TFP.

One question, though. When I first started testing with my Taylor K-2006 the CH was 500. My pool water had some cloudiness to it that I attributed to the high CH. Ongoing dilution has abated that somewhat and getting my TA down has helped some. However, with the pool light on there remains some cloudiness and some very small particles that I have yet to identify. These should be getting filtered out by the cellulose. To that end I disassembled the filter to make sure there was no tear or hole of any kind in the (new) grids. THAT was a job. Twelve hours from opening it up to closing it and restarting the pump!!! There is no discernible reason that cellulose particles should be getting in the pool but that's what it looks like.
Has anyone else seen this?
With extensive scaling on the pool surfaces I am maintaining the CSI ~-.3 to -.5 and when the temp goes down I plan to either drain and do a full acid wash or bring the CSI down to ~-.8 and without a heater to worry about, taking the ph into the sixes shouldn't be a problem. Which method depends on the cost of refilling the pool and the cost of enough MA to do a complete acid wash. Are there any other issues I should be aware of?

On a side note, I have been in north Texas for over thirty years and I finally got so tired of the excessive heat that we moved to Maine for a while. Since we have been back having the pool to jump into and cool off has tempered my personal, subjective assessment of how hot it is even though its just as hot as ever. Wish I had known this thirty years ago.

Again, thanks very much

Keith

Hello from your neighbor in Garland!

It is extremely doubtful that you will get the water so clear that you will see zero particles in your water near the light.

Clouding, at least in my pool, was caused by the TA being way high and the pH swinging. I can't really tell if you are talking about the same thing though, because this clouding isn't the same as seeing some particles near the light.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.