When to replace filter

Jul 9, 2013
The filter, original to the 15+ yr old, fiberglass, has developed a leak at the bottom of the filter. It sits on concrete and leaks (currently) only when the pump is on. When should I consider replacing the filter? Or asked another way, how long should I live with the leak which is a small pool of water around the filter and pump?

Look at it this way. If your pump runs when you're not home (and even if you are home), what's the likelyhood of a rupture and how much damage could be done if the filter ruptured and the pool emptied enough to starve the pump and/or flood the place?

If the answer is not much, then you can probably live with it a while.

I had the exact same situation. Here's the way I looked at it. Unless you have a lot of rain, a leak in the pool or the plumbing is the same thing as a leak in your house plumbing (outside). It wastes water and costs $$ over time since you have to use water to replace what leaks. That filter was at least 20 years old and I had patched it once with epoxy putty. I figured it was a sign of end-of-life and I replaced it.

Can't put a price on peace of mind.

Regards
Michael

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.