Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: When to replace filter

1. Back To Top    #1

When to replace filter

The filter, original to the 15+ yr old, fiberglass, has developed a leak at the bottom of the filter. It sits on concrete and leaks (currently) only when the pump is on. When should I consider replacing the filter? Or asked another way, how long should I live with the leak which is a small pool of water around the filter and pump?

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: When to replace filter

Look at it this way. If your pump runs when you're not home (and even if you are home), what's the likelyhood of a rupture and how much damage could be done if the filter ruptured and the pool emptied enough to starve the pump and/or flood the place?

If the answer is not much, then you can probably live with it a while.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    South Florida

Re: When to replace filter

I had the exact same situation. Here's the way I looked at it. Unless you have a lot of rain, a leak in the pool or the plumbing is the same thing as a leak in your house plumbing (outside). It wastes water and costs $$ over time since you have to use water to replace what leaks. That filter was at least 20 years old and I had patched it once with epoxy putty. I figured it was a sign of end-of-life and I replaced it.

Can't put a price on peace of mind.

14,288 gal IG freeform Diamondbrite
    Hayward 9002 filter
    3/4 hp Hayward pump
    Barracuda G3 cleaner
    TF-100 test kit
    resurfaced 6/2013