Green pool!! New Set up!! Help

Jul 8, 2013
I have just set up a new pool....
Intex 18x48 above ground pool
I purchased the SWG, and am trying the new salt water system. A friend had a water truck so they were going to help with 6,000 gallons of water we needed.. well the water in the dump was green, so needless to say I started off with green water. I didn't know that I could still shock with the SWG. Yesterday I shocked the pool heavy, and now it is a light light ting of green,
my CC is with in normal but the ph is still above 8.0. How can I get it to clear up??
I live in Mississippi
the pool will hold 6,428 gallons of water
The shock I used was the granular shock and swim (the only type in this small town!)
I dont have access to a pool and spa store anywhere with in a 100 miles of here to test the water for me.
I have to use the dip stick test kits... so I know they are not as good.
I know that the bleach is recomended, but can I still bleach after using the shock and swim??

I would not continue to use any product labeled "shock" unless it is liquid. Most contain CYA (the others contain calcium) and if CYA gets too high, you will end up needing to drain and refill - something you certainly don't want to do if you have water shipped in. We need to know the balance of your water, especially CYA. So for now if you want to continue to add bleach, that will be fine, but you'll be shooting in the dark since we don't know how much bleach you need. If you assume your FC is at 0 and CYA at 20, you'll need about a 128oz jug of 8.25% Clorox (or equivalent) to achieve shock level.

Make sure it isn't anything labeled "outdoor" or "no splash". Just plain bleach.

First, I would bring your pH down to about 7.5 with Muriatic Acid.

What exactly is the "shock" you have put in, and how much? You may be able to continue using it to bring up your chlorine levels and at the same time add stabilizer (which you did not mention adding). But this is not the preferred method and can be prone to errors. It's even more risky when you are not able to test your CYA levels.

You also mention you are using a SWG, but no mention of adding salt.

Lots and lots of good information can be found here: category.php?c=getting_started

The first day I did use 80 lbs of salt at the start when I turned on the SWG, It did not give me a low salt reading and I ran the SWG for about 6 hours to start. I turned off the SWG and ran the pump only.
I added the Super Shock and Swim Yesterday. I have been cleaning the filter every 2 to 4 hours, there is a lot red murky gunk in the filter every time, the pool looks cleaner than yesterday.

OK... that appears to be a calcium based shock. So, until you get your test kit, and can test your CH levels, I wouldn't use any more of that.

Unless you have added some stabilizer, or CYA you will need to get some of that in your pool. Otherwise, the sun is eating much of your chlorine. You may be able to get it at Walmart. Read the CYA section here: pool-school/recommended_pool_chemicals

Looks like you will need about 26 oz.

Then you are good on just using bleach.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.