Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should I put a sock on my Intex 1600 basket?

1. Back To Top    #1

Should I put a sock on my Intex 1600 basket?

Hi all,

Doing some reading and wondered if I need to put a skimmer sock on my little basket in my Intex 1600?

Oh, I guess I have another question... do I need to buy a wall skimmer? The pool doesn't have any trees around it and really the only thing I deal with are bugs. (Oy, one more potential thing to buy.)

What'cha think?
    Intex 15'x48" AG metal frame pool (4,440 gal), Krystal Clear (1600) 14" sand filter, Taylor K2006 test kit, Intex Deluxe Maintenance Kit/vacuum (love it!), Intex Deluxe Skimmer, BBB.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Should I put a sock on my Intex 1600 basket?

If you can do it easily, sure. A knee-high nylon is cheap, and it will catch a whole lot of fine debris that would otherwise clog your filter.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I have bamboo growing just across the fence from my pool. When the wind blows a bunch of the little needles get in to the pool and if I don't catch all of them with the hand rake they get sucked into the skimmer and into the pump. This clogged up the impeller on my Intex 1600 and I had to take it apart and clean them out.

I bought a package of skimmer basket socks (4 for $4.50) from Family Leisure Pool Store and they fit great. No more little needle problems. Catches a lot of bugs to. I just wash it out every morning and have been using the same one for a week or so now.
    8 year old Intex 16 x 48 metal frame - Intex 1600 Pump with 14" sand filter - Intex Old Style SWG (ladder broke and poked huge hole in the side)

New 18 x 48 Ultra frame Intex - Intex 2650 pump with sand filter - Intex Old Style SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

That's great! Thanks, Richard and JamesT! That's what I'll do, then!
    Intex 15'x48" AG metal frame pool (4,440 gal), Krystal Clear (1600) 14" sand filter, Taylor K2006 test kit, Intex Deluxe Maintenance Kit/vacuum (love it!), Intex Deluxe Skimmer, BBB.

5. Back To Top    #5

Oooooops...I spoke and then went back and looked at your post again. You were talking about the pump basket and not the skimmer basket. I was talking about the skimmer basket. I don't think the socks that I was talking about are going to work on the pump plus I wouldn't want to have to take the top off the pump basket and clean that out every day......Sorry, my bad!
    8 year old Intex 16 x 48 metal frame - Intex 1600 Pump with 14" sand filter - Intex Old Style SWG (ladder broke and poked huge hole in the side)

New 18 x 48 Ultra frame Intex - Intex 2650 pump with sand filter - Intex Old Style SWG

6. Back To Top    #6

Okay, interesting. So is it not good to open up the clear plastic lid that leads to the basket too often? It's super easy to get to and open up- or does it mess with the pressure inside the pump?

7. Back To Top    #7

Well actually I wasn't talking in terms of it not being a good thing or causing any problems, just that i dont like to unscrew it and mess with it. I would rather just dump the skimmer basket

8. Back To Top    #8

Gotcha! I think I'll try it in a couple of days (unless someone chimes in and says it's not a good idea or something). Thanks for your input, JamesT!