Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: preventing buildup

1. Back To Top    #1

preventing buildup

I've got an Intex SWCG that gets a white scale build up, I assume due to my hard water. I've got to clean it a little more frequently than I prefer.

Is there anything I can add to the water that will help slow the buildup so I don't have to clean the cell so often? I saw something at Walmart called "Cell Saver", but it didn't say what was in it. I'm wondering if it would really work anyway, or if you guys know of something that will help.

BTW my pool is an 18x48 Easy Set. My CYA, chlorine, and ph are maintained at the levels recommended here. My TA runs high, I add MA about once a week to keep my ph in line.
    18'X48" Intex Easy Set, 2650 GPH Intex sand filter, Intex SWCG, Intex deluxe skimmer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: preventing buildup

Post a set of test results.

Most likely actively getting the TA down will help, but without knowing what the TA is we can't know. Also telling us that the TA runs high doesn't tell us anything, 60 is high to some and 200 is high to others.
    We also need to see the rest of the numbers.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

TA was 240 about 3 weeks ago when I measured it.

I've done two weekly ph adjustments since then which would bring it down a bit, but I've also backwashed and added fill water since then also. I can measure tonight, but it's safe to assume it's 200+.

To this point I've never worried about trying to bring my TA down since my fill water is so high and I have no problem keeping my ph between 7.2 and 7.8 with weekly muratic acid doses.

Depending on the time of day or day of week I measure my test results run in the following range.

CYA 60
    Chlorine 3-7
    PH 7.2-7.8

I've never bothered to measure my calcium hardness. We have hard water. I've got the test, so if a specific number will help I can get it.
    18'X48" Intex Easy Set, 2650 GPH Intex sand filter, Intex SWCG, Intex deluxe skimmer

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm betting your TA is the problem. SWG + high TA = calcium issues. If you can get your TA down to about 70, you can add borates and this will most likely solve your issues. It did for me. As always, YMMV.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

You really should run the CH test just so you know where you are.

If you have high Ch and high TA that's a recipe for scaling, especially if the pH gets in the upper range.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

I'll check the calcium hardness.

So these responses are leading me to believe the "magic potions" don't work?

I may just deal with the frequent cleanings of the SWCG. Between a fairly short season and fill water with really high TA; it seems like it would be tough to get the TA adjusted down every year based on where I'm starting from and the water I'm topping the pool off with.

7. Back To Top    #7

Magic Potions don't usually work.
    There are creative ways to get the CH and TA down. Read Richard320's thread on how he manages his pool.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator