Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Construction Around Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Construction Around Pool

Now that our pool has been installed, the hardscaper will be putting up a rock support wall, paver coping and paver patio.

He asked us today if we planned on getting a solar cover. Now that it is June and we will have solar heat, I figured this could wait until August for purchase.

He said it is a good way to prevent any dirt or masonary "items" from getting in the pool and protects it. He said he has tarps but they are pretty dirty anyway.

I wonder if we should buy a really cheap solar cover (if there is such a thing). I would hate to buy the space-age type that we really want and it get ruined anyway.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how we can protect the pool?

18x36 IG Vinyl Grecian Lazy L (20k gallons) ~ Whisperflo DS 2.0HP pump ~ QuadDE100 filter ~ Autopilot SWG DIG-60 ~ (7) 4x16 solar panels

2. Back To Top    #2

Coastalish 'down easter'
    Any solar cover you get probably won't get 'trashed' However, II would just go with one of his tarps to protect the pool while he's doing the masonry work 8)
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL
    I would. The cheap one really does help with things besides warming the water, it keeps it warm if you have a sudden air temp drop, it also helps minimize evaporation.... I use mine all the time.

And if you get one for say, under $60 you can replace it next year with better one....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner