Retrofit timer

Jun 26, 2013
Hello All,

I currently turn my filter pumps on and off by using the breakers. Each is controlled by a separate, dedicated breaker. I'm looking for retrofit timers, though. Is there a good option (220V) for a plug and play type of timer. I'd like to find something I could plug into the 220 outlet and then plug the pump into the timer. Does that exist and would it be a reasonably good option?

Thanks,

Ruby

Most 220 volt pumps aren't plug and cord. What type of plug do you have? I'm guessing that it's a twist lock and most 220 volt timers that I know of don't come with cord and plugs either. However, wiring one with twistlock plug and receptacle would be simple enough.

You know, I can't really tell you what kind of plug I have now that you mention it. I just pass it by without really looking at it every day. I imagine it's like clothes dryer plug. I should figure that out. Regardless, given your answer and the lack of pluggable timers, I'll probably add that to my growing electrician's list.

Thanks for your reply.

I've asked a few electricians about this (my mom used to use the breaker daily to turn her water heater on and off). Breakers are not designed to be used as switches. Regular use wears them out or causes premature failure. My mom wouldn't change. Drove me crazy!

I put a 220v 20 amp switch in line to the pump supply. Also got a water proof cover for it since it's outside.

Regards
Michael

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.