TF-100 results

FC 8
    CC <.5
    CYA 30
    PH 7.5
    TA 70
    CH 90
    Borates 30 or 50, probably 50
    Temp Average 92 with spikes to 96 or higher, never below 89.
    Water clear and sparkling

Pool covered with Auto cover at all times except for swimming.
    Swimming average 1 hour every other day during week, 3 hours on weekend.

So the kids reported the pool was ďstinkyĒ the other day. I got in and noticed something too. The neighbor was mowing his grass, I attributed it to the smell of cut grass although it didnít really smell like that. It smells more like dead lizards, or dead frogs, or compost maybe. We do get every other day or so dead lizards, frogs, bugs, moths, centipedes etc. I empty the skimmer basket every day.

As Iím writing all this out, Iím wondering, if my chlorine level never drops too low, I shouldnít smell this. I guess it could be something in the yard wafting over the pool, or maybe something rotting in the Auto cover pit. But I smell whatever it is when I get in the water and get my nose right down on the surface.

I thought about shocking, but it takes forever for my pool to drop back down to normal chlorine levels, but will do if itís the only idea to try. I guess I donít understand what could be stinking with chlorine in the pool.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Water smells like "stinky"

I had something like that once. It went away by itself. I just figured something reacted with the dry acid I used once - it's got some sulfur in it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Simple answer if you ask me.....just swim under water.....
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Brushpup
    Simple answer if you ask me.....just swim under water.....
    LOL

Seriously thou went swimming last night and didn't smell it. I didn't expect many responses, cause its going to be one of those "everything should be just fine" issues. I'll keep my nose out and see if/when i smell it again i can correlate it to something.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    SWCG and D.E. Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Maybe the neighbor mowed over some dog poop.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by 257WbyMag
    Maybe the neighbor mowed over some dog poop.

I didn't think of that! EL O EL! :P
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

I think that could be the culprit. Pools need to breath. Try removing cover every day for at least a few hours.

And, when you shock the pool, you should leave the cover off during the day to allow the sun to help burn off CC's. Having the cover on during shocking is the reason your pool takes so long to come back down to normal levels.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly
    I think that could be the culprit. Pools need to breath. Try removing cover every day for at least a few hours.

And, when you shock the pool, you should leave the cover off during the day to allow the sun to help burn off CC's. Having the cover on during shocking is the reason your pool takes so long to come back down to normal levels.

I think so too. I haven't purposely shocked the pool since it was installed last summer. During the process of dialing in the SWG i've gotten up to a level of 16ppm of FC, but it was not intintional.

So for arguments sake, what exactly would be building up that would cause the smell? And during the breathing process (outgassing) what is really going on? Is this aking to an indoor pool in essence?
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    SWCG and D.E. Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

When chlorine oxidizes ammonia and organics, it produces not only gasses you don't smell such as nitrogen gas and carbon dioxide, but also produces gasses you can smell including monochloramine (though in practice it takes a lot before you smell this), dichloramine and nitrogen trichloride. If you keep the pool covered, then these gasses are not able to get out of the pool so they build up in the pool water until you remove the cover at which point you can smell them. Also, if the pool cover is mostly opaque, then the UV in sunlight is unable to get into the pool and UV helps break down the most smelly of these gasses (it doesn't affect monochloramine very much).

If your pool were very clean and free of organics and ammonia to react with, then the cover wouldn't matter unless the chlorine were to react with the cover itself.

Normally you shouldn't need to uncover the pool every day. Our pool has gone through different levels of use but when used every other day we've never noticed any problems with odor. It's more of a problem if you have heavy usage, such as a pool party, and then cover it up right away. Then, when you open it up again you could have the "bad pool smell" similar to higher bather-load indoor commercial/public pools. If you uncover the pool an hour or so before you are going to use it, that should be enough to prevent a bad smell. That's what usually works for spas, though even 10 minutes with the jets running is sufficient to clear out any of the most volatile dissolved gasses.

I think you're situation was just something transient, perhaps something that got into the pool that you were not aware of or perhaps something not related to the pool at all but you associate it with the pool because you were using it at the time the odor wafted through.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"