Pentair vs Hayward filters

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!! :wave:

I don't think the brand really matters, but you sure want to make sure you get the right size. You have a big pool and we would generally recommend at least a 98 sqft DE filter ... which is on the top of the residential size.

There is the Pentair Quad DE 100 and I am not sure Hayward goes over 72 sqft on their DE filters.

Alternatively you could go with a 34" sand filter or a 518 sqft cartridge filter.

But, I do want to point out that if you have a low debris load or a short season, then you can get by with smaller than these recommendations.

I know Pentair extends the warranty to 3 years if you buy 3 pieces of equipment at the same time ... not sure if you already bought a pump or if you want to add a SWG or something.

Thanks for the quick reply. I believe my existing filter is 60 sq ft. It's so old that the metal plate with all the info on it is unreadable. It is about 29" high and 18" in diameter, stainless tank. Hole just popped in tank and debris is getting to salt water generator filter screen, resulting in my salt water generator always turning off. I think the filter it is undersized and I think the 1 hp motor that just failed on me (looks like bearings are shot, it was streaming loud and froze up) was too small. 2" piping and about 50' to closest skimmer basket.

Re: Pentair Quad Filter-Are You Happy With It?

I have a stainless steel DE filter 29" x 18" diameter that is shot (hole in tank and holes in screens). Looking at the Pentair Quad 80. My 1 hp pump is shot too. I'm making ends meet with a borrowed 2hp pump and the limping filter. Limited budget but will stretch it for better system. Thoughts on the quad and proper size of pump?

Bought a Pentair Quad 80 with multi port valve. PVC is drying now and overnight. I can see where I can improve on my plumbing of the filter and pump. Waiting until I get a new pump. Borrowing my buddies 2 hp pump for the rest of the season. What type size pump should I get?? I put 2" piping from pump to filter to heater. Looks like it gets smaller going back to pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is highly unlikely that you will find one of the recommended test kits locally unless you have a commercial supply house. The key is the FAS-DPD, most will not know what that is.

The pool did not get to its state in less than a week, so unlikely to get clear in a few days. Plus you may not have the required tool by then.

You hit the nail on the head. Can't find the test kit! Just had water tested at local place. FAC .5 ( prior to first shock) TAC .5 pH 7.8 TA 110 CYA 40 Calcium hardness 210 Salt 2800 Phosphates 300

I'm trying to figure out calculator and get yard in shape. Calculator says add muriatic acid and calcium chloride. HELP!

The important thing your test shows is that you don't have enough chlorine in there.

Adding muriatic acid to bring the PH down to around 7.5 is a good idea.

You don't need any more calcium because you have a vinyl liner.

Dun vegan said:
Better than nothing!!!
Well, not really. the DPD test is NOT, repeat, NOT the same as the recommended FAS-DPD test.

The DPD is limited to 5ppm by matching shades of pink ... and as an added bonus, if your FC is high, the pink gets bleached out so you may think you have no chlorine, but infact it is high.

Jason- exactly as you said. Used my neighbor's test kit and it showed NO chlorine. It didn't make any sense because I have shocked it three times so far. Used a test strip and it showed the FCC 5+. PH is low now 7.0 or so. I'm chasing the pH, so I am getting the water checked again. I need to grab a Proper pool test kit ASAP, but no time this weekend. Thanks for all your help! This Pentair Quad 80 is kicking butt. I am betting clear pool water tomorrow!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.