Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pentair vs Hayward filters

Re: Pentair vs Hayward filters

OK here we go:
    FAC .5 now 5
    TAC .5 now 5
    PH 7.8 now 7.4
    TA 110 now 80
    CYA 40 now 20
    Calcium Hardness 210 now 290
    Salt 2800 now 2800
    Phosphates 300 now 0
    Doug - Northern Bergen County New Jersey
    21' x 40' in ground pool, 35,000 gallons, (8' to 3' deep), vinyl liner, Aquabot T4
    2 returns, 2 skimmers, 1 bottom drain, 2" piping around equipment - reduces to 1 1/2" to pool
    Pump ( need new one - using a borrowed 2 hp now), Filter - Pentair Quad 80
    SWG Autopilot CR 52, Heater - Raypack Model R 406A BTU 399,000 gas

Where did those results come from?

Order the kit NOW so it will bo to you early next week

Likely the FC > 5ppm if those are pool store results ... and how did the phosphates miraculously disappear?
    In a pinch you can dilute the pool water with distilled water and use the pink DPD kit with multiplication factors:
    50 pool / 50 distilled ... Factor x2
    33/66 ... x3
    25/75 ... x4
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, Dolphin Diagnostic Robotic Cleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Gone: Hayward RS1500 pump, undersized DIY solar heater, Dolphin Dynamic Robotic Cleaner
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

Both tests done at Leslie's by different people. Agree with phosphates. Trying to find some CYA in the area. Otherwise what else? I think I might wait until the AM and see what's up. Thoughts??? Alkalinity dropped. i agree with you about my FC is higher than their reading. Thoughts on what, if anything, I should do before it runs over night?
    21' x 40' in ground pool, 35,000 gallons, (8' to 3' deep), vinyl liner, Aquabot T4
    2 returns, 2 skimmers, 1 bottom drain, 2" piping around equipment - reduces to 1 1/2" to pool

Those results are great examples of why you need to get an appropriate test kit like jbliz said. It is hard for us to give you advice, since those numbers are not very reliable. Bottom line you need to be doing the SLAM process, but that will be difficult without an appropriate test kit: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...king_your_pool
    TFP Moderator who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

Good morning. I just looked outside from my upstairs window and I can see the Aquabot pretty good sitting at bottom of the pool. I know my original post of "my pool is green" is subjective, but i'm very happy with the rsults of 24 hours! Looks like I am on my way to getting the water good enough for party tomorrow afternoon. Test kit is on its way, but won't be here until next week. Will test water again at pool store this AM. I'm sure filter needs to be cleaned too. I slammed four times yesterday, once before bedtime. Ran pump over night. Added baking soda and stabilizer ( I couldn't find 20 Mule). You guys really kept me on track! Where do I send the case of beer!!!

Senior Member In the Industry

I slammed four times yesterday,
    Nope. If you do it by following the instructions carefully, you will ONLY SLAM the pool once.....it's a process, not a dose of chlorine.
    Dave S.
    Site Owner 42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter, No SWG
    TFTestkits owner
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

My terminology was incorrect. I "slammed" the pool once. I am getting great results. Thanks

Dave S.
    TFTestkits owner

this morning's test:
    FAC 1
    TAC 1
    PH 7.0
    TA 90
    CYA 30
    Calcium hardness 280
    Salt 2750

Looks like I still had algae or something in the water overnight. Makes sense to me as I slammed it yesterday.
    Cleaned filter this AM too. Third time I cleaned filter totally since yesterday AM (pulled out cartridges and hosed off). All good so far. Increasing pH and adding liquid chlorine and CYA in a few hours. Thoughts?

Whatever you are calling "shock" is probably not the correct procedure for dealing with this situation. [slam:1num2m91]You need to SLAM the pool.[/slam:1num2m91]
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

Slam= shock level and maintain so if you are at a fc of 1 your not slaming your pool!!!
    Nathan
    15x30 gunite 18k gallons Hayward star clear plus 120sqft cart

I had it above a FC of 5 all day yesterday, failed the overnight test, so I'm raising the FC again today for another overnight test.

Normal recomended cl levels for cya of 30 are 3-7 so to slam it you would want to be higher than normal level (we may have a communication barrier of some sort) but the slaming procces requires you to maintain Shock levels of cl until 3 things happen reread slaming procces please
    Nathan

You said it, as I was thinking it. Communication is an interesting thing. Doing the best I can without the kit. It's on order. Regardless, Friday morning my pool was green and I could barely see the bottom of the shallow end 3'. New filter and following your slam process as best I can. I'm on the upward slope of the learning curve here. My pool is now clear, very clear!! Extremely happy. I do understand that I am still in need of the kit and need to complete the slam process until my TAC doesn't drop more than 1 overnight. Thanks! Picking up my beer now.

Cleaned filter for the fourth time after psi increased by 10. I'm kicking the green stuff's butt! Clear water!

Good morning. I have the K-2006 and am testing water for the first time. The chlorine test says if free chlorine is present, sample will turn pink. I must not have any free chlorine present because no change in color to water in test tube when I added the R0870. So how do I know how much chlorine to add?

The amount of FC you need is dependent upon your CYA level.

Test for CYA, go to the FC/CYA chart in pool school and it will suggest where your FC should be.

Then, go to poolcalculator.com to calc your dosage.
    Dave S.
    TFTestkits owner

Post all of you results here and we can help you to learn the process.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

I'm not getting any reading when I test the FC. Can it be that low???? Water is clear

It could be low yes, test everything and post your results plz
    Nathan