Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding Bleach?

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding Bleach?

I could only find a the basic pool test (tests the total chlorine and pH)...no other ones in town here so I need to order. I need some help since the pool calculator has a bunch of other data I don't have. Total chlorine was 2.0 and pH was 8.0

What do I need to add for bleach and other to balance?

Thanks in advance

Aileen

10' x 30" summer escape vinyl pool, 1500 gallons, filter

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Adding Bleach?

Welcome to TFP!

We can't really give you any advice on bleach until we know your CYA level. Since you don't have a test yet you can take a sample in to a pool store and get it tested. The results probably won't be the most accurate, especially the CYA one, but it will give you an idea and give you a reference to go by. Have you ever used pucks to chlorinate? If so then 2 TC probably is a bit low, but without more info it is really just a guess.

What I can say is that your pH needs lowered. You can get muriatic acid from most big box stores in the paint aisle, or dry acid from the pool aisle (usually called pH down). Both will work but muriatic acid is much more bang for the buck. Use the pool calculator to figure out how much to add to get your pH down to 7.5.

If you can get and post the test results you will get much more specific suggestions. If you can, also post the pool store recommendations (but make sure not to act on them). Some of us enjoy a good laugh at the stuff they try to convince you are "absolutely necessary" for your pool.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

The closest pool store is 100 miles away unfortunately. What can I do until I get a better test kit from online?

4. Back To Top    #4

What type of basic test? Does it turn yellow or pink when you test?

If it turns yellow then there are some estimates you can make until you get the right test without the FAS-DPD test you can't actually get the precise results needed.

Sent via Tapatalk...
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP!!!

Where are you located? You could likely have a TF100 easily before the weekend ... but your pool is small, so in reality, you could likely get by with a much smaller kit and just dump the water if things go bad. Another option is the 6-way HTH from Walmart mentioned at the bottom of the Recommended Test Kits page.

You could tell us what you have used for chlorine to this point. Or is this a new fill?

Have you read Pool School? Specifically: pool-school/temporary_pool_guide
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

It's a new fill 2 days ago. Based on the pool calculator I added 6 oz of bleach so far. The test I have is a basic with yellow for the cholorine and pink/purple for the pH. Walmart was out of test kits as is every other place I tried in town, hence I bought the only one I found which was a basic as i figure it was a start atleast. I don't want to have to dump the pool if possible.

7. Back To Top    #7

Read the link I provided and start that process. You need to get some CYA in the pool and following that process is an easy way to get a pretty good start without the benefit of a good test kit.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

8. Back To Top    #8

The good news is that at your level of CYA and without a need to shock yet, you can get reasonably started without too much error.

You still need a good kit to fully manage this pool but that won't keep you from starting - order the kit ASAP however.

Sent via Tapatalk...

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

you can get reasonably stated without typo much error.
    What the heck does that mean??
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

Dave, I suspect it is "started" and "too much", you have to love auto correct

I just wanted to follow up with a fresh fill there will be no CYA in the water, keep track of what you add, just use a measured amount of CYA Stabilizer for your initial dose and don't use any dry chlorine products that may also contain CYA (trichlor or dichlor) and you should be ok.

Ike

ps read the pool school link in the upper right
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1
    Dave, I suspect it is "started" and "too much", you have to love auto correct

I just wanted to follow up with a fresh fill there will be no CYA in the water, keep track of what you add, just use a measured amount of CYA Stabilizer for your initial dose and don't use any dry chlorine products that may also contain CYA (trichlor or dichlor) and you should be ok.

Ike

ps read the pool school link in the upper right
    Yes. Sleepy with autocorrect is a bad combo.

- Sent using Tapatalk

13. Back To Top    #13

I finally found some tests strips....not ideal but I was excited to have something. Here's what I have:

Total Hardness:100
    Total Chlorine: 0
    Free Chlorine0
    pH: 6.8
    Total Alkalinity: 40
    Cyanuric Acid: 0

I know I need to Add more Bleach and the calculator told me: 12oz. I also see I should add 14oz of Borax and 14 oz of baking soda. The rest of the things I get confused by what I should use. What do I use for Washing Soda? I have not found any in the stores here.

14. Back To Top    #14

You posted this a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by averaworker
    The closest pool store is 100 miles away unfortunately. What can I do until I get a better test kit from online?
    You should have had the GOOD test kit ordered and in possession by now.

Test strips are not worth the paper they are on and giving recommendations based on test strips results is not a good idea since they are so unreliable.

Order one of the Recommended Test Kits before you lose another week.

If you choose to believe the test strips, you need to raise the pH with borax (or washing soda might be better because it will bump up your TA some) and may need to raise the TA with some baking soda. And you need to get the CYA up to at least 30ppm using cyanuric acid (stabilizer) and you need to be maintain some FC with bleach.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

Most pH tests only read down to 6.8 so your real pH may be well below that (pH is one of the few things test strips tend to get fairly close on)
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~