Slimy feeling pool

Nibla

Jul 8, 2013
Hello TFP,

I am sure i am going to leave something out that you need. I will try to give you as much information as i have and find out what i don't know. Today it feels like my pool is starting to get slimy. Water is clear and not cloudy at all. The water does feel soft, but this seems to be something different. My guess is that it is algae and i need to increase my CYA and FC. I know a full test of the water would give you most of the information that you need, but i am waiting on my local pool store to call me with the test information. Whoever test the water was not there and they told me they would call me with the information. I couldn't really argue so i just left. Ok, for what i do know.

Intex Ultra Frame AGP 26' x 52 "
14,500~ gallons
Intex 54601EG Saltwater System (runs 7 hours a day)
Intex cartriage filter 2,500 gallons per hour (runs 12 hours a day)
87 degrees Fahrenheit average tempt for the last week
pool is in direct sunlight for most of the day.
pool has been up for 2 weeks (brand new/first year with it)
added 380 lbs. of salt when the pool was first set up.
never added any cyanuric acid (pretty sure this is my problem)

So here i am asking for help without a full test of my water. :oops: Help?!?

While your water sits at the store, the balance is going to change. FC will most certainly drop just sitting on the shelf.

Your first problem is that you need to be able to test your water on your own. Even a small kit like the TF-50 will do if you don't have an algae problem, but if you think you do, you should probably spring for the TF-100.
http://tftestkits.net

You need to perform an OCLT:
You won't be able to effectively do this without being able to measure your FC levels on your own.

Although lack of CYA won't cause algae, it can make it too hard for your SWG to keep up, and if FC levels fall too low (or to zero) you can be in trouble.

Keep the questions coming!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.