Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Robotic cleaners vs brushing it manually

1. Back To Top    #1

Robotic cleaners vs brushing it manually

Guys

Other than the time it takes to manually brush a pool, is there an advantage to the robotic pool cleaners? Just bought a home with a pool and trying to justify spending money on one

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Robotic cleaners vs brushing it manually

Welcome to TFP!

The robotic cleaners not only brush, they also vacuum. Still, those are both things you can do very well manually if you feel like doing so.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Plus side - all the sand and junk is removed by the robot without you needing to do so. The robot works if you do not have provisions for a suction or pressure side cleaner. They do a good job (not great) at keeping everything brushed (more on this in a bit).

Down sides - They aren't good at removing lots of leaves. They are harder to clean out than a Polaris or Kreepy Krawly type thing. The pressure side cleaners with the big bags on them are worse at removing dirt and silt, but better at removing leaves.

On the brushing - if you have any bad spots in your plaster like I do, they won't get deep enough into it to keep black algae out, even at proper FC levels. Don't ask. This is what my wire brush is for.

If I were to get a robot again, I'd get one with a remote control. There's been times I wanted to clean specific spots but the robot didn't seem to want to get them. I either have to move it manually, or just get out the whale tail and sweep it.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

This may depend on your pool construction

With my steel wall AG pool, my Aquabug/DiverDan does a great job vacuuming the floor. It does not have brush.

I still need to manually brush my side walls, and floor if it gets fuzzy.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

do they make remote control ones?

6. Back To Top    #6

Why yes they do.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

thanks guys

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

They keep a lot of dirt and material out of your filter saving on time cleaning your filter --- especially if you have a cartridge filter.

And the chlorine in having to kill off all the dirt in your filter after vacuuming.

All the debris ends up in the bag, not the filter which you take out of the bag and wash it off for another day.
    25k 20x40 Gunite w/ integrated Spa & Caribbean Blue Plaster, Curved Bluestone Coping, Deck Jets
    Pentair Easy Touch/Wireless, Sta-Rite Intellipro SRVS Pump, Intellibrite Lights, & Pentair IC40 Cell, Sta-Rite 450sf Cartridge filter
    Heated from Central Boiler - Outdoor Wood Furnace & Triangle Tube Max Heat Exchanger
    ColorQ Pro
    TF-100