Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question regarding tap water chlorine levels

1. Back To Top    #1

Question regarding tap water chlorine levels

Ok. I went to my friend's house to check her pool water. She turned on the tap water and the chlorine smell was unreal. I checked the chlorine levels of her tap water and these were the results:

I researched an acceptable level of chlorine for human water consumption and it maxed out at 4 ppm. When we called the water tech guy who maintains the levels, I was told by him, "The CC level is always high than the FC level."

Am I confused?
    24 ft. round ABG-vinyl-15200 gallon
    Sand Filter w/1 1/2 HP pump
    Installed May 2011
    Taylor K-2006 test kit
    BBB method

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Question regarding tap water chlorine levels

Many water companies use monochloramine, which is a combined chlorine, instead of chlorine, to sanitize drinking water. Monochloramine is fairly harmless, and not easily noticed as a smell. How that answers your question, or justifies an FC level of 10, is beyond me.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

It does not explain it and I bet he got someone on that Chlorine injection rate asap. We have a high limit of 5.0 FC for drinking water in Texas. Minimum is 0.5 PPM. No matter what 10.0 PPM FC is way over any standard limit in the US.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

4. Back To Top    #4
    Sacramento, CA

I would check it again a few days later and see if its magically lower.

I checked my tap water a few months back and we are at 2 ppm. Regulations here are maxed out at 4 ppm. Something seems fishy to me.
    15'x30' IG - Roman-style - 14K - Pebble Fina Classico
    Filter: Jandy CL460 Pump: Jandy Stealth SHPF1.5 SWG: Jandy AquaPure 1400 Cleaner: Jandy RayVac Test Kit: TF-100 w/SpeedStir

Chlorine/CYA Chart----Extended Test Kit Directions----SLAM