SPA jets - can i change them

hcagle

Jul 8, 2013
Thank you for the forum, new to this site.

I have a pool and spa built in the 80's. the spa runs from the pool pump, you just switch the valves to divert the flow from the pool to the spa. when we do this the spa does not have much force in the jets. or put another way the water does not come out of the jets very strong. my quetion is , two of the jets have a a different end, they have smaller hole for the water to come out. i have attached pictures of each and an overal picture of the spa. my question is can i switch out the larger jet ends and replace them with the small openings making the water come out with more force?

one other note, there is an air pump attached to the line, you can turn on an off for bubbles. i was told at one time to be careful what i did to the spa because water may backup that air pipe if not handled correctly.

your help would be apprecaited?

thanks,

hcagle

Can you post a picture of the fitting edge on?

Also, have you looked behind the fitting that you are showing deep within the spa wall because there should be a nozzle fitting behind the external fittings. It is the nozzle which makes the jets strong and not the external fittings. The external fittings just redirect the flow.

Thanks for the reply, here are the picks of the opening and then of all the parts that are part of the nozzle. you are correct, way back in there you see a device that has a octogonal shaped end with a hole in it. Sounds like I need to get those out of there and check them for blockage?

We are making progress. what should i do now?

Harry

Yes, you can remove them with a long socket wrench. Once removed, you can run the spa jets and clear out any blockage.

However, if the spa was not designed properly in the first place, that may not work. A few questions:

Number jets?

Nozzle diameter? (after you remove one)

Pipe size going to and from the pump to the jets?

Distance between the pump and spa?

Pump make/model#?

Is the pump just for the jets or is it also used for filtering/heating?

If yes, what is the filter type, size and backwash pipe size?

sorry for the delay:

9 total jets, at least one is one when the pool is on. six on top and two at the bottom.
Nozzle diameter looks to be an 1 1/8 inches
2" pipes on suction and from
44' from spa to pump
A.O. Smith 1.5 horse pump. Hayward SP4010x
Yes the pump is also filtering and heating. DE fileter 60 sqft reads 18 PSI mostly.
Backwash pipe attached 2inch at street looks like 1 to 1 1/2 inch

Attached is a picture with the jets on.

thank you for you help

Nozzle should not be that big. Most jet nozzles are either 1/4", 3/8" or 7/16". You may be missing the nozzle. Post a picture of the nozzle after it has been removed.

Are you sure that the two jets on the bottom aren't just returns?

Also, post a picture of your pad equipment.

The Hayward SP4010x is a 1 HP pump not a 1.5 HP pump. They may have replaced the motor at one time with either a larger motor or an up rated motor.

Thats what i would have thought. 6 of the nine are like the pictures attached , the other 3 are like you describe, but not freely moveable.

i beleive the only returns are the big drains at the bottom.

here are the pictures of the nozzles, whole, in parts, and the little end they told me that fits on them. the smallest diamitter is 7/8"[attachment=0:p76tgve7]Nozzle end.JPG[/attachment:p76tgve7]

Is the nozzle in this picture

file.php

The same as the blue exterior fittings in this picture?
file.php

If so, those are not venturi jet nozzles. Those just direct the flow rate. If there are jet nozzles, they would be deep inside the spa wall.

Were you standing on your head when you took that? :)

Sorry, I guess I should have been more specific about the nozzles. I am only interested in the venturi jet nozzles. The external nozzles only redirect the flow but have little effect on the strength.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mark,

okay here you go. A picture of the jet nozzle. a 9/16 socket wrench did the trick. the opening seems to be about 5/16. it looks a little out of round. question is how am i going to get them back in there? these pictures are of the same jet
i did verify it is a 1.5 horse pump motor.

Thanks,

They are probably 3/8" jets and given your setup, you really don't want 7/16" jets.

Did you try running the spa without the jets to flush out any debris?

To get them back in, I just use the extension and socket with the jet inserted. You should be able to insert the jet without it falling out of the socket and tighten by hand.

Originally, the SP4010 came with a 1 HP full rate motor and I think the 1.5 HP may be up rated which is the same. Can you see what the service factor is or post a picture of the motor label?

Also are all 9 jets, actually venturi jets or are some of those standard returns?

A picture of your pad plumbing might be helpful too.

I did flush, some small debris not much, Here is a picture of the pump motor. what is a "PAD" that you mentioned earlier?
i do not see a service factor? Seems everything is working as it should. any suggestions?

Harry C.

That is an 1.5 HP up rated motor (see "SF 1.00") which is the equivalent of a 1 HP full rated motor. It looks to be a replacement motor. Anyway you have a 1 HP full rate pump which is what is important.

The equipment pad is the plumbing and equipment where the pump resides.

Also are all 9 jets, actually venturi jets or are some of those standard returns?

Mark,

Showing my Rookieness. Here is a picture of the PAD. I will confirm jets this evening or 1st thing in the am. i believe there are 6 venturi jets, 5 up top and 1 down at the bottom. two returns are from the pool side, one return (non venturi) on the spa side (it had the most water and highest pressure).

I appreciate the help and responses.

Harry

i believe there are 6 venturi jets, 5 up top and 1 down at the bottom. two returns are from the pool side, one return (non venturi) on the spa side (it had the most water and highest pressure).
I was afraid of that. If you down size the spa jet, which you can, it might just force more water out of the non-jet port. I was looking for some control of that on the pad but I don't see any valve that would allow you to shut off that non-venturi port. Can you tell if there is a way you could plug that port? Maybe remove the eyeball fitting and just use a threaded plug.

With only 6x3/8" jets, the SP4010 should be big enough to handle them. That is what I am using for my 6 jets. However, you only have 2" pipe and that reduces the flow rate some so your jets would not be as strong as mine. But what is probably making the jets even weaker is the extra "normal" spa return. That is probably bypassing a lot of water around the jets so if possible, my first suggestion would be to try and plug that port and see it that alone helps.

Mark,

any problem of the water backing up through the air pump? That sounds like good advice. i will do so and let you know the results. Thank you very much for all your effort.

Harry C.

I was assuming that extra port was not connected to the air pipe via a venturi tee. Do you ever see any bubbles out of that port?

We have some sucess!!!! check out this picture of the jets now. I drained the spa and turned on the jets and i had 8 jets not 6, two were spa returns with no jet. I plugged those and look what we have now. I think that is about as goog as i am going to get it, without major work. your thoughts? they were 3/8 jets installed , i needed a better tape measure (or eyes!)

Thanks for all your help. this has bee a very good and very educational experience. :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.