Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vacuum options for 14' intex ultra

1. Back To Top    #1

Vacuum options for 14' intex ultra

I snagged some chemicals at a local store, and they suggested a hand powered floor cleaner/skimmer for $46. It's terrible. I'm going to take it back, but fear they will only give me store credit.

Is there a way to attach a simple hose and vacuum head to the intex system? I have young kids, so gunk will be a plenty.

I'd like to go the least expensive route that will yield workable results. But, if I need a better pump and modifying the walls will be needed on down the line, then I'm open to that, just not now. Leveling the pool cost WAY more than I thought.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vacuum options for 14' intex ultra

I have unscrewed the cover and stuck in a pool hose to vacuum my pool; it worked fine.

3. Back To Top    #3

I use a pool vac hose I bought at walmart and use the same adapter I used for the skimmer. I had to tape it to get it to stay on but it works great. There's a plastic strainer that kept getting clogged. I was able to pop the strainer out with a flat head screw driver. Now I don't get clogged ever 3 seconds.
    I've seen a thread where the person used some sort of bottle ahead of the strainer to keep it from getting clogged. If I find said thread I will post a link.
    Intex Ultra frame 16x48
    Intex 1600GPH Sand Filter
    Taylor K-2005 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

How about the Intex vacuum made for your pool? They are inexpensive and effective.
    18'x 52" Intex Ultra Frame AG pool
    7100 gallons
    1600 Intex sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    BBB method for four seasons
    Former 18' Easy Set owner

5. Back To Top    #5

My Ultra didn't come with a strainer, so I'm not sure where I'd connect the hose at?

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by peripatew
    Is there a way to attach a simple hose and vacuum head to the intex system? I have young kids, so gunk will be a plenty.
    I use the Intex skimmer basket adapter and a regular pool hose (I forget if it's 1 1/4" or 1 1/2"). It's not a 'perfect' fit but it's close enough.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by peripatew
    My Ultra didn't come with a strainer, so I'm not sure where I'd connect the hose at?
    Well you can't fill the pool without a strainer so getting one is a given. When you do get it, you simply unscrew the strainer cover to expose the male threads. Then, screw on the Intex female hose adapter made for connecting the vacuum.

They look like this:

Standard strainer:

Vacuum Adapter:

You don't need to have a skimmer to connect these. But if you do, the Intex skimmer uses the same adapter to connect to the strainer.

Here is a kit you can buy on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Pool-Maintenta...tex+vacuum+kit
    18'x 52" Intex Ultra Frame AG pool
    7100 gallons
    1600 Intex sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    BBB method for four seasons
    Former 18' Easy Set owner

8. Back To Top    #8

Livinright, thanks for the clarification. I had assumed strainer meant the side-hanging basket, rather than what I was calling the "pump intake thingy". I'll give that intex kit a try.