Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Shock time?

1. Back To Top    #1

Shock time?

Hi I am new to the forum and just started the BBB method. Today I needed to add sine baking soda to bring my level up to 100. I am using new water cycler until I run out of it and then I will start with bleach. I noticed some green spots on the bottom of my vinyl and on the metal handrails. I need to shock, I suppose is day or night better
    36,000 gal IG vinyl. Haywood pump and heater Hayward DE filter blue diamond robot. Hayward Aqua Rite SWG AQR-15

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Shock time?

Shocking is a process that can take several days, even weeks. I would say that starting at night is better because you know that all your FC is being used for killing the algae, but the hourly FC checks and bleach additions might be more difficult during the night. Keep in mind you'll need to hold the shock level, not just a single addition, and it'll drop fast at the first few additions.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks robert. I will be away for 13 days however and will only be able to shock today and tomorrow. I usually add 1lb per 10,000 gal. Should I add more!
    36,000 gal IG vinyl. Haywood pump and heater Hayward DE filter blue diamond robot. Hayward Aqua Rite SWG AQR-15

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I am using new water cycler
    I don't know what that means?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Read up on the shock process. It would be better if you wait until you return.
    pool-school/shocking_your_pool

Between now and then, get a full set of test results and post the numbers up. Also please tell us as much about your equipment as possible.

You are also going to need a quality test kit with a FAS/DPD chlorine test to perform this process. The TF-100 is the one we recommend around here.
    http://tftestkits.net/Test-Kits-c4/
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

The only thing we recommend to use for shocking is bleach or liquid chlorine, because it doesn't add any unwanted chemicals. No powdered forms of "shock".
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.