Solar Panels for Pool Pumps only

Jul 2, 2013
I have been thinking of putting up some Solar Panels for running my Pool Pumps.

There are 2 pumps: (1) the Main Pump, (2) Polaris Booster Pump for Cleaner.

Looking for some suggestions/guidance from anyone who has attempted this before.

How many panels, how difficult it is to install, etc.

Thanks.

Such setups invariably end up costing quite a bit more than simply using utility power.

If you really want to do this, you are going to want to replace your existing pump motors with low voltage DC motors, which are much more efficient than regular motors when used with solar power.

The big problem with photovoltaic solar is that payback time is typically in the 20-30 year range, which also tends to be around the projected life of the panels. I have some experience working with these panels on my sailboat, although that has been several years ago and there have been advances in the last few years, mostly in the form of cost reduction, and the introduction of "AC" solar panels with micro inverters onboard that convert the DC to AC (how well these work with motors I don't know)..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.