Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar Panels for Pool Pumps only

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar Panels for Pool Pumps only

I have been thinking of putting up some Solar Panels for running my Pool Pumps.

There are 2 pumps: (1) the Main Pump, (2) Polaris Booster Pump for Cleaner.

Looking for some suggestions/guidance from anyone who has attempted this before.

How many panels, how difficult it is to install, etc.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Solar Panels for Pool Pumps only

Such setups invariably end up costing quite a bit more than simply using utility power.

If you really want to do this, you are going to want to replace your existing pump motors with low voltage DC motors, which are much more efficient than regular motors when used with solar power.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW Louisiana

Re: Solar Panels for Pool Pumps only

The big problem with photovoltaic solar is that payback time is typically in the 20-30 year range, which also tends to be around the projected life of the panels. I have some experience working with these panels on my sailboat, although that has been several years ago and there have been advances in the last few years, mostly in the form of cost reduction, and the introduction of "AC" solar panels with micro inverters onboard that convert the DC to AC (how well these work with motors I don't know)..
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~