Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 17-18 psi is lowest I get on my setup?

1. Back To Top    #1

17-18 psi is lowest I get on my setup?

After backwashing until the sight bubble is clear (5 mins?), and I use the skimmer, I get 17-18 psi. It'll run for days and only go up 2-3 psi. I just want to make sure that sounds about right, or if I have a problem. It's a year old 1/2hp whisperflow. If I switch it to bottom drain, I get 16psi, and with a mix of both it goes up to 19 psi.

The guy who repaired my pool heater commented on the 1/2hp being very small for a 17k gallon pool that it should be a 3/4 or more. Is there an issue with a 1/2hp pump?
    45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = Trouble Free Pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 17-18 psi is lowest I get on my setup?

I run 2-hp 12psi , look at GPH figure out how long it takes to circulate your total pool water 1 time. you have to look at pipe sizes and filters also

3. Back To Top    #3

Clean filter pressures vary dramatically from pool to pool, depending on many details of your setup. 17-18 is well inside the normal range and thus very plausible, but we have no way of knowing if that is really normal for your pool or not.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

As long as 17-18 is in the "normal" range, I'm happy. Thanks.
    45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater

5. Back To Top    #5

your return jets must have really good pressure?

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by vinper
    Not really, just blows normal to me. Isn't the pressure gauge showing the pressure before the filter, not after?

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by zimm
    Quote Originally Posted by vinper
    Not really, just blows normal to me. Isn't the pressure gauge showing the pressure before the filter, not after?
    Correct. Really "normal" can be anything between a couple psi and 30psi (although generally not this high) ... just depends on all the equipment (pump and filter sizes, heaters, etc) and the plumbing (size and length).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Does you gauge to to zero when the pump is off?

By the way, if you do not have any high volume water features that need higher flow rates, a 1/2 hp whisperflo pump is likely a good size.

What size is your sand filter?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

9. Back To Top    #9

Sand filter is a PAC FAB TA--60D, which has a GPM of 60 and contains 325lbs of sand. I replaced my cheesy plastic pressure gauge with an www.amazon.com "winters" stainless steel, liquid filled 0-30 gauge ($15) and it's reading 14.5 psi! That sounds better. I think it was just the gauge.

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.