Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding Light to Unlighted Pool.

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding Light to Unlighted Pool.

Is there an easy way to add light to an existing unlighted in-ground pool? So far I've seen something called the NiteLighter but I'm more interested in a more finished looking solution. I'm looking for more of a DIY solution that doesn't require major construction changes to the pool. Also when adding a light which end of the pool is best to light up deep or shallow?
    20K Gallon Vinyl, Triton II TR60 sand Filter, Pump Type TBD, Chlorine (no SWG)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding Light to Unlighted Pool.

I don't think you have a lot of options, but pointing the light away from the house, or where you normally hang outside the pool at night is best. Shallow or deep. My opinion anyway.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

As Patrick said, you don't have a lot of choices since you don't want to do much construction.

You could look at battery powered lights, but you're limited in how much light they provide.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I saw Ocean Blue Jet Light's advertised the other day. It is a light ring that attaches to your pool jet return. Not cheap but worth a look I guess.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

5. Back To Top    #5

Could you add a small LED light in your skimmer? Or if you have railings with your steps, can you build something into the railing. That might have some possibilities of conceling the wiring (obviously DC, not 110 AC). Photos would help.

Disclaimer: This post is by a noob with no consideration of your local building codes.

6. Back To Top    #6

Seen someting called a StarShine solar powered floating LED light for a pool. Don;t know anything about it though.
    45' x 65" Rectangle, 85,000 gallons, marcite, 3 - 2hp Pentairs, sand, AutoPilot Professional 4 cells, Aquacheck Digital Reader, Aquachek Salt Water Chlorine Generator Test Strips (amazon has best price for 40 count!)

7. Back To Top    #7

You can add a light to your ladder. I'm sure you can DIY it but here is an example from a company that sells an add-on for their steps:
    http://www.shopthegreatescape.com/produ ... dder-steps

You could put something like this in your skimmer box, at least you would not have naything hanging over the side:
    http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/savinote.htm

You could add an external return fountain with a light, like this (but I doubt you'd add much light to the pool):
    http://www.outdoortheme.com/swimming-po ... ing-ideas/