Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Wanda the Whale

1. Back To Top    #1

Wanda the Whale

I recently purchased "Wanda the Whale" pool vacuum. Well....upon receiving it I came to find out it was not compatible with my 18x48 intex pool because I do not have a skimmer. My pool is run with the intex 2500 sand filter. If I buy the hanging wall skimmer made by intex, will it work with my wanda??? please help

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Wanda the Whale

Well I use that skimmer on my Intex 18x48 Ultra and it will not stay clamped and others have the same problem. It comes lose and floats to the surface disrupting the pump, so I would say no due to the movement of the hose even if it will attach to a skimmer adapter to fit that skimmer. I'm going with a thru wall as soon as I get brave enough to cut my pool. It looks like a thru wall skimmer is the way to go for both surface debris and vacuuming the pool. The upgrades are never ending.
    Intex Ultra Frame 18x48; Intex 56671EG 2,650-Gallon Sand Filter Pump; Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System 15,000 Gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

I was able to use mine with my non-skimmer intex. I had a blue vacuum attachment that screwed onto the filter intake & the hose fit over that attachment. My intex was bought in 2009, though, not sure if they still have that screw-on attachment on the filter intake.
    Former Intex Owner, switching to 15,000 gallon AGP with Hayward E200 sand filter & 1.5 HP Power-Flo LX Pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

I'll post a picture of how I attach my bug. I don't use the skimmer and I just plug it into the outlet that goes to the pump.
    Diane

15,000 salty gallons - 24' x 12' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame Pool
    Intex Sand Filter, Pump, SWG - TF-100 and speed stir

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by dangela44
    I was able to use mine with my non-skimmer intex. I had a blue vacuum attachment that screwed onto the filter intake & the hose fit over that attachment. My intex was bought in 2009, though, not sure if they still have that screw-on attachment on the filter intake.
    If you have one of those blue hose barbs that screws onto Intex fittings, you may need to do some modification of the newer Intex Ultra Frame fittings, which have a molded-on screen covering the smaller-diameter threads it would otherwise screw onto. That's what I had to do.
    18'x4' AG Intex Ultra Frame, 6,700 gal., assembled new 2013; Mods: Hayward EC50C90 Perflex filter & 1 h.p. PowerFlo Matrix pump, Fiber Clear cellulose D.E. substitute, Hayward H100ID1 100,000 BTU NG heater, a pair of 2'x20' Sungrabber solar heaters via the original Intex 635T pump, grey Hydro Tools through-the-wall skimmer, Confer steps/ladder system & Cover Free chemical pool cover. The Summer of Mods!

6. Back To Top    #6

If you have the large Intex sand filter, the intake screen screws off, you can probably just stick the hose right in the hole that is exposed when the screen is removed. (at least this is true of the newer fitting that came with my sand filter)
    8638 gallon 20'x52" Intex ultra frame round AG. 2650 gph Intex Sand Filter. Intex krystal Klear SWG. (newer model that includes copper ion generation) Hayward 1091LX skimmer, Kreepy Krauly lil shark. Taylor K-2006 w/speed stir and sample sizer. New this year, Intex PureSpa - dichlor-> bleach method for sanitizing.
    New pool, 16'x36' (approx 18000 gal) in ground pool, Haywood DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

We do the same as PridgNYC. Remove the in pool intake cover or skimmer connector (which ever you have on) so that there is a hole. Put the vac adapter on the end of the hose and stick it in the hole. Wanda will take off.
    Diane

15,000 salty gallons - 24' x 12' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame Pool
    Intex Sand Filter, Pump, SWG - TF-100 and speed stir

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by DianeF1
    We do the same as PridgNYC. Remove the in pool intake cover or skimmer connector (which ever you have on) so that there is a hole. Put the vac adapter on the end of the hose and stick it in the hole. Wanda will take off.
    I don't actually do that since I replaced the Intex intake with the Hayward skimmer, but I did compare the intakes that came with the 1600 gph sand filter that came with the pool and the 2650 gph sand filter that I installed and noticed that the 2650 comes with an intake with a removable screen and the 1600 comes with an intake with a non-removable screen.
    8638 gallon 20'x52" Intex ultra frame round AG. 2650 gph Intex Sand Filter. Intex krystal Klear SWG. (newer model that includes copper ion generation) Hayward 1091LX skimmer, Kreepy Krauly lil shark. Taylor K-2006 w/speed stir and sample sizer. New this year, Intex PureSpa - dichlor-> bleach method for sanitizing.
    New pool, 16'x36' (approx 18000 gal) in ground pool, Haywood DE filter