Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA Test not accurate over 100 ppm?

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA Test not accurate over 100 ppm?

I see a lot of posts saying CYA test over 100 ppm is not accurate. But what about after diluting pool water with well water that is 0 ppm CYA and then testing and double the result. Is that an accurate method? My kit has been testing right at 100, so I diluted with well water and I get the result of 50 ppm. Seems accurate, but am I wrong?
    - Max

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA Test not accurate over 100 ppm?

It does lose some accuracy by doing that....but not enough to matter in this case. I would still suggest you drain 1/2 the water to lower your CYA level, refill, then retest.

3. Back To Top    #3

When doing the CYA test with 1 to 1 dilution the precision drops to +-30 (or worse), which is fine for estimating how much water replacement you need to do, but not good enough for much else.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Just because your water might really be at 100 ppm CYA, does not mean that another sample that was for example 140 ppm CYA would not also read 100 ppm CYA on the undiluted test. As this is more of an out of range condition than a true accuracy one.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

ok, thanks all.
    - Max