Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Taking apart sand filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Taking apart sand filter

I find the pressure on my gauge never rises. I have dirt and debris on pool floor within hours of vaccuming. I've also noticed when I vaccumm and backwash I don't see alot of dirty water being backwashed out. Could there be a broken lateral? I'm thinking about taking sand filter apart this Friday.
    Southern NJ, 1 HP Haward Pump, 16x 32 dimensions, 21,000 gallon vinyl liner inground pool, TF-100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Taking apart sand filter

Purchase a new pressure gauge.
    Make sure hoses are attached properly, mine weren't and that presented a problem with filtering and backwash flows as well as "gunk" returning to the pool from the return.

Service your multiport: with the power off & unplugged unscrew the screws & open it up. Look at your spider gasket make sure it is attached properly; if it is ~ clean and lube it. Lube the center spring that works the handle. If the spider gasket is "ratty" (unattached in places/ chunks of it missing), replace it. *Put everything back together tightening the screws evenly ~ not too much pressure ~ you want it evenly distributed between the screws.

Open the tank: make sure sand is at proper level (I believe most recommend 2/3's full, but consult your manual)/ introduce a garden hose to the sand bed to free up any channeled sand. Close filter back up and go through a rinse cycle to seat the sand properly.

I would try the above before removing the sand and checking laterals. Double-checking connections / replacing the gauge / servicing the multiport and deep cleaning sand bed might be all it takes to get things working correctly. If you remove the sand & check the laterals, but have problems in the other areas you'll still have issues. So I would do the easier exercises first & see if that fixes issues prior to removing the sand, just because removing the sand is a buggar.

*edit for typos
    AGP: 27' x 52" : 17,500 gallon
    300 lb. Sand Filter (75 gpm) / 1.5 hp pump
    Full Sun ~ All Day

3. Back To Top    #3

I'll do just that on Friday. Thank you.
    Southern NJ, 1 HP Haward Pump, 16x 32 dimensions, 21,000 gallon vinyl liner inground pool, TF-100 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

I have had good luck with these liquid-filled gauges for my pool filter as well as other applications: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...427+4294907752. A PSI range of 0-60 is best for most pool filters. Pay particular attention to mounting type and stem connection size to make sure you get one that fits your filter.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.