HOA denied pool build... advice?

doncaruana said:
Just kibbitzing a bit here, based on my own HOA trials and tribulations and some other wrangling, but what the heck is that thing behind you? It looks like some sort of spillway or something for that lake, maybe some sort of flood management? If I read your pics/drawings right, that build line is to that spillway (or whatever it is), which is most likely well beyond the control of the HOA. If that's the case, you need to find out what governs that build line. The HOA won't have the authority to override a county or state regulation. At best, if the government authority will even allow a relaxation, they would likely require the HOA's blessing first. Or, you may get an OK from the county and then be able to go back to the HOA and present them that as well.

Your 20' build line in the front (from the street) is a county regulation also and I can't tell from the drawing if that build line is being encroached as well.

And, to top things off, there's this: "Harris County wants to ensure that the proposed swimming pool does not encroach on any utility easement"

I'd recommend you start here and see where you are: http://hcpid.org/permits/res_dev_pools.html Looks like there's lots to satisfy to get a pool built in your area!

Good luck!

doncaruana~~Thank you for your input. Yes, that ugly cement/ditch area to the west of our house is for lake overflow. We can't see it b/c that side is closed off by a wooden fence, whereas the lake side has wrought iron. :)

Ironically, our HOA has been pretty lenient with our neighbors, but they don't have corner lots with multiple build lines and large easements like we do. Our front build line is fine- it is outside of our fenced area.

My question now is if I should even try to get the new design approved~~. The design where everything is inside the building line is 77 perimeter feet (compared to the original 90) and 28’6” x 14’7” (compared to the original of 33’6” x 16’7”).
The pool seems small, but I will lay out the hoses (as suggested above) and see if we want to move forward. Does it sound small to you?
Thank you!! :lol:

harleysilo said:
Is that including a built in hot tub?

Have you considered dropping the hot tub and opting for a standalone hottub?

harleysilo-- Actually, I have considered getting rid of the spa...I keep going back and forth....the kids told me they would use it and play in it even when it's not heated, so I feel like it would be worth it to keep it. Plus, I have back issues and I think I would love having the spa, too. We are not allowed to have standalone hot tubs in our neighborhood.

Thanks for your input! It is still something to consider in our decision. :?

Last I checked... 77 perimeter feet is bigger than 0 perimeter feet with a depth of zero with grass.

Just sayin...

If I want the pool, have money for the pool, I'd make time fighting for the pool but that's just me. Good luck. :goodjob:

reillysmommy said:
ouachita said:
Any updates on this?

Hi ouachita - I talked to the HOA liaison and i sent her pics of our survey, the aerial pic, and made the case that there is not another option for a pool except for the side yard. She suggested that our PB redo the drawing so that only the decking, none of the actual pool, is in the build line and send it with the other pictures with our appeal.

Our front build line is fine- it is outside of our fenced area.

Since it appears that the HOA has figured out that paving is acceptable across the building line, you could pull your front fence forward to increase the pool deck area. Basically fill the side yard with water and pave the easements.

[/quote]

Since it appears that the HOA has figured out that paving is acceptable across the building line, you could pull your front fence forward to increase the pool deck area. Basically fill the side yard with water and pave the easements.[/quote]

I guess I can always ask, but I'm pretty sure they won't allow us to move our fence. :cry:

It boggles my mind that HOAs care so much about things that are not even visible.

I mean how is a hot tub sitting on the back patio that no one can see detracting from the value of the neighborhood? It is not like you are trying to store a bunch of cars in the backyard. Seems like they should have more important things to worry about.

Glad I moved out of the HOA neighborhood 4 years ago :D

Switching from a free form to a more geometric shape would maximize your water area. I have an in-ground spa and I agree that they don't do much therapeutically. If I was cramped for pool space, I would drop the spa. It is also a very expensive option. We use our sun shelf space (18 inch depth) much more than the spa and it cost a fraction of what the spa cost.

I don't see why your fence couldn't be moved up to the building line.
I serve as a member of a HOA Architectural Review Committee and my wife is the president of our HOA (over 1300 homes). You should be able to get a copy of the HOA's Design Review Guidelines and the CC & R's. They should lay out very clearly what standards you have to meet for HOA approval. If what you are planning doesn't violate the CC&Rs and complies with their design guidelines they will approve it. The CC & R's are the legal documents that form the basis of a HOA. they are the Covenant, Conditions & Restrictions that apply to the property and that you agreed to when you purchased it. They will be full of legalese and can be a bit difficult to read, but Design Guidelines should be clear and are the basis for planning a homeowner project. Most HOA's aren't too difficult to work with if you understand that they have rules and restrictions that they are bound by law to enforce. Good Luck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
chiefwej said:
Switching from a free form to a more geometric shape would maximize your water area.

Reillysmommy you could put a large trapezoid pool in there. To take people’s eyes off the shape you build a small island in the middle, either a water feature or table or area that could be planted…..

chiefwej said:
I have an in-ground spa and I agree that they don't do much therapeutically. If I was cramped for pool space, I would drop the spa. It is also a very expensive option. We use our sun shelf space (18 inch depth) much more than the spa and it cost a fraction of what the spa cost.

Reillysmommy, I don’t recall the age of your kids, but mine would get much more use out of a sun shelf than a hot tub. I have a 3’wide first step so about 4” of water and the kids live there, playing. They can swim and do, but they love playing on the steps.

Have you seen these http://www.poolwarehouse.com/shop/cozy-cove-spa/

You could also have your builder make one of those that went along the inside (house) side of the pool.

jblizzle said:
It boggles my mind that HOAs care so much about things that are not even visible.

I mean how is a hot tub sitting on the back patio that no one can see detracting from the value of the neighborhood? It is not like you are trying to store a bunch of cars in the backyard. Seems like they should have more important things to worry about.

Glad I moved out of the HOA neighborhood 4 years ago :D

jblizzle - I live on a lake lot, which has a wrought iron fence on the back, so it is visible...

but, yes! Seems like they should be trying to prevent petty crimes and saving the ducks who are dying from fertilizer pellets instead of my pool. :(

harleysilo said:
chiefwej said:
Switching from a free form to a more geometric shape would maximize your water area.

Reillysmommy you could put a large trapezoid pool in there. To take people’s eyes off the shape you build a small island in the middle, either a water feature or table or area that could be planted…..

chiefwej said:
I have an in-ground spa and I agree that they don't do much therapeutically. If I was cramped for pool space, I would drop the spa. It is also a very expensive option. We use our sun shelf space (18 inch depth) much more than the spa and it cost a fraction of what the spa cost.

Reillysmommy, I don’t recall the age of your kids, but mine would get much more use out of a sun shelf than a hot tub. I have a 3’wide first step so about 4” of water and the kids live there, playing. They can swim and do, but they love playing on the steps.

Have you seen these http://www.poolwarehouse.com/shop/cozy-cove-spa/

You could also have your builder make one of those that went along the inside (house) side of the pool.

chiefwej - I was concerned that a trapezoid would have wasted space in the corners....?

My kids are 14, 13, and 8. I'm thinking about dropping the spa... I do have a sun shelf on the other side of the pool that is quite large. Maybe I'll just make that a little deeper (I think it is 9" right now) and have a smaller sun shelf on the steps coming in where the spa would have been.

That cozy cove spa is a GREAT idea!! Thank you so much for all of the information. This forum is amazing!! :-D

I would rather have wasted space in the corners than no pool. I think trapezoid pools are cool looking.

You can add a small step in the acute angle corner. I saw one in the one of other pools in the construction area here, IIRC.

Often the depth of sun shelf is 9" (one step) or 18" (two steps). We opted fot the 18, and love it. It falls right at the seat level of a lounger or deck chair. Most of my neighbors have free form pools. That seems to be what is popular right now. My wife insisted on the simplicity of straight lines. As she said: "its a swimming pool,we arent trying to fool anyone into thinking it a nataual spring". So no rock formations or waterfalls. Just a geometric pool with a fountain in the center of the spa. Many of my neighbors envy the additional water area we have.
3d9248fc.jpg

We decided to make an appeal for the original design, making the case that the pool is not a "structure" that would detract from the beauty neighborhood, that it is our only option for a pool, and that it would actually enhance the value of our home/subdivision. I also sent a picture of our yard, an aerial photo of our house and surrounding area (ugly retention ditch on the west, and houses near us that had polls).

Wish me luck!! Thank you for all of your expert advice!

chiefwej said:
Often the depth of sun shelf is 9" (one step) or 18" (two steps). We opted fot the 18, and love it. It falls right at the seat level of a lounger or deck chair. Most of my neighbors have free form pools. That seems to be what is popular right now. My wife insisted on the simplicity of straight lines. As she said: "its a swimming pool,we arent trying to fool anyone into thinking it a nataual spring". So no rock formations or waterfalls. Just a geometric pool with a fountain in the center of the spa. Many of my neighbors envy the additional water area we have.
3d9248fc.jpg

I love your pool! My hubby didn't go for the geometric look- I think it would be fine in our yard. If we win our appeal, I'm definitely make the sun shelf deeper. Thanks for the idea. :)

Keep the spa!

In the winter in Texas the kids love the spa. Especially in mild Decembers, crank up the spa on Christmas Day or thanksgiving day after the meal and the whole family hangs out for an hour. Good stuff.

My kids are constantly in the spa. Hot or cold. I don't remember what the sports event was ... In the pool in my prior house one of the kids had a bunch of friends of and cranked up the spa without the heater on. Cost of entry was 2 bags of ice for each teenager. Multiply by 10 kids ... It didn't exactly turn it into an ice bath but it certainly cooled them off on a 100 degree August day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

ReillysMom,
I remember from an earlier discussion that you love your house, but not the brick. Unfortunately, you don't love the restrictions of your lot, either. OK, first, say the Serenity Prayer.

In this discussion about the size of your pool, I'm thinking about how everything in Texas is big.
Has to be; it's the law!

But is that always good?
If you put a large pool in a "small" space, it is overwhelming, and the space is unbalanced.

I understand desiring a generous pool, but there are no right and wrong sizes.
A pool is a place to swim, to float, to play. There are no size regulations for any of those activities.

So, what's the fixation on bigger is better, and is it somehow absolutely necessary?
Are you anticipating really huge Texas-sized guests, and are concerned that obese people take up more room?
Are you planning parties for 50 people or more, all in the pool at once?

So, really, ReillysMommy, what's at the root of your size issue?
You don't need to tell us, but do consider it for yourself, because that seems to be part of what's creating the drama and contention with the HOA.

By the way, when you look at a 400 sq. ft. pool, it doesn't look so very big, but it does get much bigger when you are in it!

Good luck.

And personally, I have to agree with ChiefWEJ's wife.
Swimming pools are not natural, so why create a poolscape with a pile of rocks jutting out of a concrete deck? One might as well install artificial trees. IMO, pools and water features are about the water, not rocks, so just make the water features beautiful and inviting and functional.
Heck, if I was in TX, I'd do a flat-topped water feature that's reminiscent of a mesa, and make it fun to play on.

And sure there are pools that do look entirely natural, all the way around, but they are generally huge and very costly to build and maintain.
Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: Gladius Nova

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.