Is it wourth the hard plumbing?

Jul 21, 2012
Southern California
Im wondering if its wourth upgrading to hard plumbing to ditch the intex plunger valves with my current set up or will it not make much of difference? Is it a noticeable difference without upgrading pump?
Also wondering what most 5k gallon pool owners are using as a pump and filter and do you feel its getting the job done? Would you recommend larger or did you over do it for that size pool?

drnava99 said:
Im wondering if its wourth upgrading to hard plumbing to ditch the intex plunger valves with my current set up or will it not make much of difference? Is it a noticeable difference without upgrading pump?
Also wondering what most 5k gallon pool owners are using as a pump and filter and do you feel its getting the job done? Would you recommend larger or did you over do it for that size pool?

Personally, I see nothing wrong with the newer twist-type "plunger" valves that came with my Ultra Frame. I have a 3,000 GPH Hayward pump that is way bigger than what is really needed for my pool and I use the included 1-1/2" flexible hoses that came with the Hayward, and I have had few problems feeding the pump. In fact, I recently added a through-the-wall skimmer, and that pump will suck the skimmer dry if I wasn't using the Intex outlet to supplement it. But when I had nothing but the Intex outlet (through the plunger valve) feeding the pump, it was able to keep up with the demands of the pump. Same with the pool return. My DE filter was running at a leisurely 11-12 PSI though just Intex fittings and Hayward flex hoses before I added the solar panels. Just my 2 cents worth and others will disagree, but I've done enough mods for one year. Don't feel the need to go monkeying around with hard plumbing it for now.

I noticed army local pool store (I was there buying floaties toy) that had a sack pool up for display. I am not sure it was index brand but they had a nice Hayward pump and filter connected to t he plungers via standard AG hoses. I have had hoses for almost 10 years. I replace them every couple years. I like the black cuffed hoses.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.