Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is it wourth the hard plumbing?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is it wourth the hard plumbing?

Im wondering if its wourth upgrading to hard plumbing to ditch the intex plunger valves with my current set up or will it not make much of difference? Is it a noticeable difference without upgrading pump?
    Also wondering what most 5k gallon pool owners are using as a pump and filter and do you feel its getting the job done? Would you recommend larger or did you over do it for that size pool?
    Intex 20x10...Intex sand filter...Intex3000gph TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is it wourth the hard plumbing?

Quote Originally Posted by drnava99
    Im wondering if its wourth upgrading to hard plumbing to ditch the intex plunger valves with my current set up or will it not make much of difference? Is it a noticeable difference without upgrading pump?
    Also wondering what most 5k gallon pool owners are using as a pump and filter and do you feel its getting the job done? Would you recommend larger or did you over do it for that size pool?
    Personally, I see nothing wrong with the newer twist-type "plunger" valves that came with my Ultra Frame. I have a 3,000 GPH Hayward pump that is way bigger than what is really needed for my pool and I use the included 1-1/2" flexible hoses that came with the Hayward, and I have had few problems feeding the pump. In fact, I recently added a through-the-wall skimmer, and that pump will suck the skimmer dry if I wasn't using the Intex outlet to supplement it. But when I had nothing but the Intex outlet (through the plunger valve) feeding the pump, it was able to keep up with the demands of the pump. Same with the pool return. My DE filter was running at a leisurely 11-12 PSI though just Intex fittings and Hayward flex hoses before I added the solar panels. Just my 2 cents worth and others will disagree, but I've done enough mods for one year. Don't feel the need to go monkeying around with hard plumbing it for now.
    18'x4' AG Intex Ultra Frame, 6,700 gal., assembled new 2013; Mods: Hayward EC50C90 Perflex filter & 1 h.p. PowerFlo Matrix pump, Fiber Clear cellulose D.E. substitute, Hayward H100ID1 100,000 BTU NG heater, a pair of 2'x20' Sungrabber solar heaters via the original Intex 635T pump, grey Hydro Tools through-the-wall skimmer, Confer steps/ladder system & Cover Free chemical pool cover. The Summer of Mods!

3. Back To Top    #3

I noticed army local pool store (I was there buying floaties toy) that had a sack pool up for display. I am not sure it was index brand but they had a nice Hayward pump and filter connected to t he plungers via standard AG hoses. I have had hoses for almost 10 years. I replace them every couple years. I like the black cuffed hoses.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the responses.....I decided 2 hold off untill i upgrade the pump. What GPH would you guys recommend? could i hook it up to my current intex sand filter?
    Intex 20x10...Intex sand filter...Intex3000gph TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm about to find out in a couple of weeks. I suspect it is very worth it based on everything i've read here.
    Intex UltraFrame 14'x48in - 3,900 gallons. Intex 1600 GPH combo Sand Filter/SWG Hard Plumbed w/Hayward skimmer, suction & return. Borates.
    And... 15k gallon kidney shaped gunite 1975 vintage. Hayward DE3620 filter + Hayward 750 pump.
    TF100 Test Kit | Pool School | Pool Math

6. Back To Top    #6

I'll be forced to change my mind if I ever relocate my solar panels to the roof of the house or the garage.
    18'x4' AG Intex Ultra Frame, 6,700 gal., assembled new 2013; Mods: Hayward EC50C90 Perflex filter & 1 h.p. PowerFlo Matrix pump, Fiber Clear cellulose D.E. substitute, Hayward H100ID1 100,000 BTU NG heater, a pair of 2'x20' Sungrabber solar heaters via the original Intex 635T pump, grey Hydro Tools through-the-wall skimmer, Confer steps/ladder system & Cover Free chemical pool cover. The Summer of Mods!