Thought it was poop.... black algae??

May 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I've had black specs in my pebble that have been increasing over the past few weeks/months. I have a 3 year history of not maintaining my water chemistry very well up until a couple months ago when I found this site. With the exception of CH (which I plan on doing a drain in the next week), I've kept a good eye on my numbers lately. In the past week, my chlorine got knocked down to zero because my SWG breaker got tripped and I didn't test for a few days. I'm currently shocking it. Earlier this week, I went into the pool and took a pool wire brush to some of the black spots (which have a smooth, slimy feel to them) and they will scape off and disintegrate with some hard rubbing. Do you guys feel that black algae is the culprit here?

My current reading:
TC: 15.5 (more chlorine was added after reading to obtain shock level per pool calculator)
pH: 7.8 (MA added to obtain 7.4 per pool calculator)
TA: 80
CYA: 80
CH: 850

IMG_2224.jpg

Given that they don't come off with casual brushing, then if you can scrape off a bit of one of the black dots and smudge it across a piece of white paper, and it smudges green, then it is black algae.

I would check before your shock is done and possibly even raise your FC since its already up. If the top scrapes offs and makes green smudges, scrub the tops off to let your nice high FC get into the base layer.

You are safe to swim all the way up to the shock level in the PoolSchool chart which is much more aggressive than PoolCalculator.com. Above that you risk fading your suit but that may be a fair cost to rid your pool of the algae.

I'd get a little tiny wire brush (toothbrush size, like for cleaning paintbrushes) and scrape it underwater with goggles. In my experience, the big brushes don't work as well since you can't push as hard on a little spot.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.